List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF TOWER FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1160886

Location

OUTBUILDING TO WEST OF TOWER FARMHOUSE, TOWER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityDownham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49475

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 58 SW DOWNHAM TOWER ROAD (North Side) 4/22 Outbuilding to west 5.2.52 of Tower Farmhouse

GV II*

Outbuilding formerly the gatehouse to the Bishop of Ely's Palace. Built for Bishop Alcock (1486-1500). Red brick with deeper red brick diaper patterning; plinth coursed in English bond with chamfered limestone band, limestone dressings to quoins and openings. Reroofed with corrugated iron. Possibly of several original storeys, height reduced to two storeys with walls and door jambs in rear elevation of rear wing demolished. South elevation: Pedestrian entrance to left of centre through moulded four-centred arch with panelled overmantel and superimposed crocketed ogee arch enclosing a cock, the rebus of Bishop Alcock. Windows with round-headed- lights, drip moulds and chamfered mullions, two single-light ground floor windows and one three-light window to right hand of entrance; one large five-light window reduced in height at first floor and two single-light windows to right hand. Interior: The original plan was of an entrance hallwith guardroom and doorway to staircase from the cross passage with an inner room to the right hand. The end room was possibly tunnel vaulted and the hall has springings for two bays of fan vaulting. The room divisions are repeated at first floor. The Lease of 1746 'with covenant to repair tower said to have been gatehouse... into a good farmhouse'.

Bishopsic of Ely Lease Book. June 1746, P318-321 R.C.H.M. (notes and measured drawings) 1977 V.C.H. p92 Pevsner: Buildings of England p330 Patterson, W: The Village and the Church 1974

Listing NGR: TL5191684194

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bishopric of Ely Lease Book, (1746), 318-321
Patterson, W , The Village and Church, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 330
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 92

National Grid Reference: TL 51916 84194

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 09:49:52.