List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1160847

Location

HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityDownham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49471

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 58 NW DOWNHAM PYMORE

2/18 Hundred Foot Pumping Station

II*

Pumping station. 1830, designed by Joseph Gwynne for the Littleport and Downham Commissioners, replacing a windmill, one of seventy-five in the area. Gault brick, slate and corrugated asbestos roofs. Three storey engine house with wheelhouse to right hand and boiler room and workshop, originally the coking shed, to left hand. Gabled elevation to engine house has double sliding doors at ground floor, and one round arched and one flat arched fixed light windows with cast iron glazing bars at first and second floors; and two plaques inscribed 'These fens have of times been by Water drown'd, Science a remedy in Water found, The power of Steam she said shall be employ'd, And the Destroyer by Itself destroy'd - Erected AD 1830: and 'Littleport and Downham District Commissioners Hundred Foot Pumping stn, 1756 windmill. 1830 Steam engine eight scoop wheel 41ft diameter. 1882. Scoop wheel increased to 50 ft. 1914. 400hp Gwynnes Steam Engine and pump replace scoop wheel and displaced 200 tons a minute. 1926 230hp Mirrlees oil-engine, 1951 Ruston Oil Engine 540hp replaces Gwynne engine. Interior: The 1914 pump is still in use powered by the Ruston Oil Engine which replaced the original engine. The paved second floor and stair is intact, the lower galleries have been removed. The boilers in the boiler house have been converted for diesel oil storage. The original engine was designed to pump water at two speeds into the tidal river, the second wheel with 50ft diameter was the largest in the fens. The station was built on a raft of 600 piles with 300,000 bricks. It is shortly to be replaced by a new pumping station to be built on the site of the engine house built in 1926 for the Mirrlees oil engine.

Hills, R.L: Machines Mills and Uncountable Costly Necessity 1967 Alderton, D and Booker, J: Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia 1980 V.C.H. p.90 Pevsner: Buildings of England p331 Country Life, Vol. 138, p875, 1965

Listing NGR: TL5076489150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Alderton, , Booker, , The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia, (1980), 331
Hills, R L, Machines Mills and Uncountable Costly Necessity, (1967)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 331
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 90
'Country Life' in 14 January, , Vol. 138, (1965), 875

National Grid Reference: TL 50764 89150

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:42:40.