List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINDLESTONE HALL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1160327

Location

WINDLESTONE HALL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, A689

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityWindlestone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 22 NE WINDLESTONE A 689 (South side) Windlestone Park

9/88 (inset) Windlestone Hall 9/1/68 Residential School

GV II*

House, now County Council residential school. Circa 1835 rebuilding, by Ignatius Bonomi, for Sir Robert Johnson Eden; Bart,, of C16 house; said to incorporate part of rear wing rebuilt c.1750, Billiard room added second half C19. Ashlar sandstone said to have come from Gatherley Moor, N, Riding; rear service wing rendered with ashlar dressings. Roofs thick light grey slates, not visible from front. Long U-plan.

Main range, facing east, 2 storeys, 3:1:3:2:3 bays, 12 in all, and one-storey 2-bay billiard-room block breaking forward at right end. First 7 bays treated symmetrically, with projecting balustraded smooth Doric colonnade, with triglyph frieze, on stylobate: wide central bay projects and is tetrastyle; paired columns in flanking bays. Aproned sashes behind colonnade, with 3 in central bay. Recessed eighth and ninth bays have colonnade continuing main building line, with frieze as at left, but no balustrade: steps up to double doors with long flanking sashes. Aproned first-floor sashes, with wide pilasters flanking window over central colonnade projections. 3 right bays have similar windows on both floors, the upper on floor-levelband continuing from cornice of colonnade. All sashes have fine glazing bars and plain reveals. Roof balustrade continues around returns, the left of 8 bays,bays 2 and 3, and 7 and 8,projecting; statues in niches in first bay. Right return has large apse. Billiard room in similar style to main building with projecting square bay at left, and half-glazed door at right: roof balustrade with ball finials: high corniced wall at right to conceal pent extension on right return. Hipped roof.

Rear elevation of main block has steps up to half-glazed door under bracketed hood. Rear service wing, on long arm of U, has 2-light windows in Tudor style.

Interior: small entrance hall with elaborate stucco ceiling decoration, in same style as that over main staircase, leads to long passage, which opens at south into full-height hall with 2 pairs of Ionic columns, finished in porphyry-like scagliola, in east towards garden and on north towards stair. These support classical frieze with low-relief scenes in style of Parthenon, with marbled panels filling upper walls: ceiling has 2 glazed domes on guilloche-moulded drums, and stucco coats of arms between the domes. Glazed partition on east: possibly this was intended to be the main entrance, with a change in an early stage of planning. On north, Imperial stair, with 2 slender diabolo balusters per tread and turned newels, supporting ramped handrail: richly-decorated panelled ceiling with initials 'RJE, WE AND RE'. Library opening from south of hall has veneered fascia over bookcases, shelves lost, with slender brass balustrade to balcony in front of upper cases: dummy books conceal entrance to upper level: C18-style marble chimney- piece. Most doors 6-panelled, in panelled reveals, with architraves. Many original chimneypieces.

North apse contains cantilevered stair with cast-iron balustrade. Room to north-west of main hall, now kitchen, probably former drawing room, has change of floor level; coved ceiling has (probably C19) rococo-style stucco decoration: central swirling acanthus leaves; coving with baskets of flowers, thick trails of flowers, oak-leaf and other classical mouldings, shells and brackets: partly obscured by insertion of ducts from ovens. Billiard room has stucco decoration on coved ceiling in Jacobean style with strapwork panels. C17 panelling, transferred by Eden family from their house at West Auckland, now in Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle.

Sources: H.C. Surtees, History of the Parish of Coundon, (Mainsforth) 1926, p.10.

Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon, K.G., P.C., M.C., Another World 1897-1917, 1976: and information from Mrs. J. Crosby concerning ceiling design signed by Bonomi, thus confirming the frequently-made but never supported assertion that he was the architect. H.C. Surtees thanksLady Eden for help, and seems to have seen family papers, but gives no proof for the attribution he makes to Bonomi.

C20 rear addition not of interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2636128676

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Eden, A Earl of Avon - Title: Another World 1897-1917 - Date: 1976 - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Surtees, HC - Title: History of the Parish of Coundon - Date: 1926 - Page References: 10

National Grid Reference: NZ 26361 28676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 08:49:54.