List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL AND GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1160184

Location

TOWN HALL AND GUILDHALL, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE MARKET PLACE NZ 2742 NW (West side)

9/232 Town Hall and Guildhall 19.2.70 GV II*

Town hall and Guildhall. C17 Guildhall with C18 alterations; 1851 town hall and front range by P.C. Hardwick. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slate. Perpendicular style. 2 storeys and attics; 4 bays. 3-bay Guildhall at left has 3 Tudor-arched doorways with chamfered surrounds; paired windows flank the central which has carved panels above dated 1850; large stone brackets support first-floor balcony to high, wide central 3-light window and tall 2-light flanking windows with tracery; drip moulds and relieving arches above. Central spherical-triangular attic window in coped gable; battlemented coping over side bays; tall end buttresses. 6 wide steps up to set-back right entrance to town hall: 2-centred arch with head-stopped drip mould and canopied niche; linen-fold panelling on double doors; 2-light windows flanking niche and 3-light above have stone mullions, with transoms to top window, and Tudor-headed lights. Steeply-pitched roof has tall crocketed spirelet over ridge ventilator, and paired coped ashlar polygonal chimneys.

Interior: Guildhall, built 1665, has high wood panelling on west wall with plaster above; renewed arch-braced 3-bay roof on shafted wood corbels. Arms of William and Mary above panelling; Mayor's Chamber adjoining to north has 1752 panelling, 2-panelled doors and C20 coved ceiling; Jacobean chimney piece and overmantel transferred from former Red Lion Inn, now part of Hatfield College. North Bailey: figures in contemporary dress of gentleman, king and soldier. Town hall at west, above covered market (q.v.) has panelled walls with commemorative painted panels; hammer-beam roof with much carved decoration; high stone-hooded chimney piece and linen-fold panelled double doors. Entrance hall has one medieval head-carved stone corbel, perhaps a survival of the 1356 Guildhall on the site.

Listing NGR: NZ2737342576

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27373 42576

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:49:05.