List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENHEALE MANOR

List entry Number: 1160121

Location

PENHEALE MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityEgloskerry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGLOSKERRY PENHEALE SX 28 NE 8/49 Penheale Manor (formerly listed as Penheale 1.12.51 House)

GV I

Country house. Probably with medieval origins, although probably almost entirely rebuilt after 1572 for George Grenville. Extended and remodelled for John Specott in the 1630s and for his son Paul. Divided into 3 dwellings in the late C18. In the early C20 Sir Edwin Lutyens was responsible for adding a south range for Captain N.R. Colville. It appears that Lutyens was probably also responsible for several alterations to the exterior and interior of the earlier range. Stone rubble with ashlar granite north front. Cut slatestone, quartz and polyphant stone in the south range. Slate roofs. C17 moulded granite caps to the axial, end and lateral stacks. Plan: The arrangement of the plan is uncertain as the interior was not available for inspection at time of survey (1987). The entrance is near the centre of north elevation, leading into a wide through passage with courtyard to rear and flanked by principal rooms. There is a late C18 one-room plan wing to front left which is on the site of an earlier wing (see the Spoure Book). The wings to rear right and left enclose the first courtyard and the south ranges enclose a second courtyard which is largely surrounded by Sir Edwin Lutyens' extensions. Lutyen's extended the lower service wing and cellars on the south, south west and built a service range to the abutting a C19 cider house in the south west corner. Lutyens then continued the service range and nursery by returning the wing to north east and connecting with the earlier range. Exterior: North front of two storeys with moulded plinth, continuous string rising to form hood moulds to the ground and first floor windows. The symmetry is broken by the circa late C18 wing to front left. The entrance is near the centre with a 4- centred granite roll-moulded arch with hoodmould and datestone 1636 PS GS (Paul Specott and Grace). It is possible that this entrance was inserted, the Country Life article of 1925 suggests that the entrance was originally in the east end- of the front. Flanking the entrance a 6-light mullion window on left and two similar windows to right. First floor with 3 similar windows and 3-light mullion window above entrance. Battlemented parapet across north elevation. The rain water hoppers are of circa 1636 with Paul Specott's arms impaling those of his first wife Grace Halswell. The earlier part of the west elevation has been reduced in height to one storey and cellar and was extended on right by Lutyens in a similar style, reusing the earlier stone for a front lateral stack. Across the south Lutyens added a 4- storey tower which is massive but simple in detail with two canted oriel bays on the south side, corbelling out over the ground floor. This tower contrasts with the adjoining C19 cider house on left which is of 2-storeys with simple shuttered openings. To right of the tower, Lutyens' service range is of 2 storeys with multiple moulded surrounds to the mullion windows and gable end of cross wing on right. The east elevation of this wing contains a Lutyens' nursery window at first floor level. Interior: Not accessible. The Country Life article of 1925 describes fine quality panelling and plasterwork including a hall screen of circa 1640, and oak panelled parlour. The Lutyen's extension contains a stair of similar design but on a smaller scale to that of Castle Drogo (information from owner) and the service rooms contain joinery and carpentry details by Lutyens. The Spoure Book 1698 Cornwall Record Office FS3/93/3/133 Edwards, R 'Penheale Manor House' Country Life March 28, 1925.

Listing NGR: SX2683087996

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: The Spoure Book - Date: 1698
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 28 March - Date: 1925 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SX 26833 88018

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:54:45.