List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL

List entry Number: 1159503

Location

PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Redcar and ClevelandUnitary AuthorityGuisborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59942

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ6116 GUISBOROUGH CHURCH WALK

7/74 Prior Pursglove College, including Master's House, gymnasium and assembly hall.

II

Sixth Form College (originally: grammar school and school house). 1887. Alfred Waterhouse. Dressed sandstone ground floor, red brick first floor; yellow terracotta dressings. Westmorland slate roofs in diminishing courses; clay ridge crestings. 2 storeys. Tudor. Plinth. Mullioned and transomed casement windows throughout. Chamfered string band between floors. First floor sills continued as moulded string. Stepped brick corbelled verges. School: rectangular plan; asymmetrical. Off-centre (R.H.S.) gabled dormer over slight projecting bay on corbels with 3-light window over moulded drop-arched entrance passage, with granite spur stones. To L.H.S. of entrance: 4 6-light ground floor windows, 6 single lights to first floor. To R.H.S. : 2 cross- windows to ground floor, 2 2-light windows above. 3 stacks. Timber clock cupola on ridge, to R.H.S., with shallow copper dome. Tablet above entrance arch records: "Founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth AD 1561 Guisborough Grammar School re-erected in the reign of Queen Victoria AD 1887". Carved stones from original buildings were built into foundations. House: adjoins E. side of school. Balanced asymmetry. 3 bays: L & R being wider than centre and gabled. L.H.S. projects forward. 6-light windows to ground floor, 3-light to first floor, single light to attic. Moulded strings across eaves line of gables. Central doorway with moulded architrave and shouldered fanlight. 2-light window above. Slate-roofed gabled timber porch on turned shafts on stone dwarf-wall to plinth height. Similar treatment to E. elevation. The listing includes the gymnasium and assembly hall adjoining the N.& W. sides of the school. Erected 1898 by Waterhouse in same style and materials. (N. Pevsner, ".... North Riding", 1966, p179; & B.J.D. Harrison & G. Dixon (Eds) "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, pp. 144-148 & 225-227).

Listing NGR: NZ6168316214

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 144-8
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 225-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 179

National Grid Reference: NZ 61731 16187

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 07:58:35.