List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DEVORAN PRIMARY SCHOOL AND PERIMETER WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1159304

Location

DEVORAN PRIMARY SCHOOL AND PERIMETER WALLS AND RAILINGS, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityFeock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63337

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 7939 FEOCK MARKET STREET, Devoran

7/62 Devoran Primary School and perimeter walls and railings

GV II

National School, now Cornwall County Council, and perimeter walls and railings. 1846. By J.L. Pearson extended circa 1871, later C19, and early C20. Slatestone rubble, now partly rendered to simulate stone,with granite quoins, copings and dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to left (north) fording T- shaped plan plus entrance porch in angle to front. Extended with large schoolroom at right angles to rear, later partly demolished, and enlarged to right (south), finally cloakroom additions to left (north) and further cloakroom to rear (west) of south wing. Tudor style. Single storey. West front has original entrance to left of and slightly projecting from original schoolroom gable end. Entrance porch has 4-centred arched granite doorway with stepped label enclosing shield and surmounted by granite ashlar coped bellcote with original bell in-situ. Schoolroom gable end to right has original 4- light mullioned window with stepped lights and ventilator over. Copings to gable presumably removed when reslated. Interior has original arch-braced roof structures but hidden by later C20 ceilings. Some old doors and dado boarding. Perimeter walls to north, east and west and adjoining market house to south. Original wall survives to west with original granite monolith gate-piers and wrought iron gate. Gate-piers each have cruciform finial of 4 gablets. Walling is ramped to left (north) of gateway. North wall has shaped granite coping with hooped iron railings. East walling has lavatories, formerly earth closets built against it. Walls included for group value. Although altered, enough survives to show how similar this school was to The Old School, qv., at Feock also by Pearson. It also makes an important contribution to the village centre.

Listing NGR: SW7944339148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 79443 39148

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:56:46.