List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1158964

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityRipley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Nov-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79114

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 SE RIPLEY CHURCH STREET, Heage (west side)

3/70 Church of St Luke

29.11.65

II*

Church. 1646-61 re-using some earlier materials, with addition of 1826 plus 1933 addition and minor alterations. C17 part of coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressing and quoins, plus graduated stone slate roof with stone coped gables on plain kneelers, 1826 addition of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressing and plain tile roof with stone coped gables and octagonal stone bellcote to north gable end which has lancets to each side with hoodmoulds and stone roof with foliage finial. T-plan, low 3 bay C17 part with south porch running east-west with 1826 addition at right angles to west end. South gable wall of 1826 part has steps up to pointed flush doorcase with metal clock-face above. West wall has four large lancets with returned hoodmoulds and Y-tracery metal windows with glazing bars. North wall blank except for central buttress, square to base and octagonal over, which supports the bellcote. East elevation has similar window to western ones, to south side. C17 part has 3-light Perpendicular east window, three C17 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows to south side with gabled porch between western two, and similar window to north side with 1933 vestry added to west. Porch has double panelled door below plain lintel inscribed 'JW 1752' and to west is a stone with inset lead inscription 'G 1661 P'. Simple pointed arched inner door flanked by stone benches. Vestry has 2-light window and door to east also and 3- light flat headed window to north with semi-circular headed lights and hoodmould. Above in the gable is datestone inscribed 'JM 1933'. To west of vestry is another 2-light C17 style window and to east is a large buttress. Interior of earlier part has raised and fielded panelling to dado height, C19 scissor truss roof, and two trefoil headed painted commandment plaques to either side of altar. 1826 part has painted flat ceiling with moulded plaster cornice, C19 organ to north end and C12 circular font bowl on C19 octagonal stone stem. 1826 hatchment over south door. Plain C19 pews throughout. Two brass plaques on north wall of earlier part, one charity plaque of c1705 and one memorial to Joseph Statham, c1809.

Listing NGR: SK3696550627

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 36965 50627

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:42:26.