List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRANDON

List entry Number: 1158956

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRANDON, NORTH DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityBrancepeth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109901

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANCEPETH NORTH DRIVE NZ 2237 (South side, off) Brancepeth Park 15/20 Inset Church of 10/5/67 St Brandon I

Parish church. Late C12 tower; early C13 aisled nave with late C13-early C14 east bay and transepts; aisles widened and extended to engage tower in C14; chancel rebuilt, south transept extended to east and north chapel and nave clerestory added in C15; c.1630 north porch; C19 south porch and restorations. Chancel roof 1638 by Robert Barker for Rector John Cosin. Dressed sandstone chancel, north chapel and east bay of south transept; squared and rubble stone elsewhere. Lead roofs. West tower engaged by aisles; aisled nave with north and south porches and transepts; aisleless chancel with north and south chapels, the latter on east return of transept. Unbuttressed 4-stage tower with round-headed loops on second stage, paired lancets above and embattled parapet on corbel table. 3-bay nave has 3-light clerestory windows between thin buttresses. Buttressed aisles have pointed windows with mainly restored curvilinear tracery. Buttressed 3-bay chancel has chamfered plinth and pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Defaced stone panel with Christ in mandorla on south-east buttress of chancel. Diagonally-buttressed transepts have pointed windows with curvilinear tracery. North and south chapel windows similar to chancel. Low-pitched roofs behind parapets. North porch, added by Cosin, has pointed doorways, blocked on west return, framed by pilasters with strapwork, friezes with Cosin Arms and cherub heads; semicircular pediment on front and battlements on returns. Gabled south porch. Interior: Pointed double-chamfered arches to tower, 3-bay nave arcades and chancel, the latter arch moved one bay to east in late C13. Arcades under hoodmoulds and on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Elaborate C15 wood nave roof with carved bosses. C15 ribbed wood tunnel vault, between south transept and chancel, has bosses with shields, crocketed extrados and crowning angel bust. Woodwork: Reredos re-uses C15 Perpendicular panelling. Altar in south transept by Thompson of Kilburn made from C14 Flemish chest with Flamboyant tracery. Superb fittings with elaborate carving installed by Cosin c.1630-40 in two distinct styles: 1) contemporary Jacobean with strapwork and Classical motifs (nave pews, box/family pews and pulpit); 2) conscious Gothic Revival with poppyheads, tracery, some Classical motifs and strapwork (font cover, rood screen, choir stalls and chancel panelling). 1628 6-leg Communion table and contemporary rail. 1638 chancel roof has flat rib vault and ceilure above altar with lierne ribs and bosses with winged angels. 2 carved wood fragments above chancel arch: 1) with Gothic ribs, cresting and Instruments of the Passion (possibly contemporary with the Cosin fittings); 2) with square panels containing Flamboyant tracery. Font cover raised on 4 iron posts in 1972 by G.G. Pace. Monuments. Large cross-legged stone effigy of Robert Neville died 1319. Recumbent wood effigies of Ralph Neville died 1484 and his wife. Stone tomb chest of Ralph Neville died 1523. Brasses to Thomas Claxton died 1403 and Richard Drax died 1456. Several C17 and C18 floor slabs and wall monuments. Glass: 3 possible Flemish roundels in north aisle window; Boyne testimonial window 1864 by Blackmore of London. Note: John Cosin (1595-1672), Rector of Brancepeth 1620-46 and Bishop of Durham 1660-72, was responsible for sumptuous fittings in several churches in the County including the Cathedral. Brancepeth Church is the most complete. (G. Foley, Brancepeth Church Guide, 1980). (N. Pevsner revised E. Williamson, The Buildings of England - County Durham, 2nd. edition, 1983).

Listing NGR: NZ2248337697

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Foley, G, Brancepeth Church Guide, (1980)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: County Durham, (1983)

National Grid Reference: NZ 22479 37696

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 12:18:49.