List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1158914

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityWorminghall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42533

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 60 NW WORMINGHALL THE AVENUE

7/152 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 21.12.67

GV II*

Parish church. Nave originally Norman, with C14 chancel and C15 tower, very much rebuilt C19. C19 S porch and N. vestry. Rubble stone, tiled roofs. W. tower of 2 stages has renewed battlemented parapet, angle buttresses, stair projection at S.E. corner, 2-light openings to bell-chamber, and 3-light traceried window to W. Nave has 2 2-light traceried windows with flat heads and C19 simplified Norman doorway to N. S. side has C19 2-light cusped window, large restored lancet, and restored Norman doorway with 2 orders of slightly chamfered arches, the inner on shafts with carved scroll leaf caps and moulded bases. Chancel has traceried windows, 2-light to N. and S., 3-light to E. Lean-to vestry to N. Interior: double-chamfered arch to tower. Nave has small piscina with stop-chamfered arch in S. wall, and arched opening from pulpit to chancel on N. side of E. wall. Restored Norman chancel arch with unmoulded semi-circular arch and piers with carved capitals on narrow attached shafts. C19 cusped niche in chancel with dogtooth ornament to sides, carved angels and flat head. Trefoil piscina, C19 roofs. Fittings: bowl and stem font, possibly C15; restored C17 pews; carved wooden panel with bishop's mitre and coat-of-arms. Other fittings and glass C19. Brass to Philip King, 1592, with inscription verse, and panel showing kneeling figures of King, wife and 12 children. RCHM I p. 324-5.

Listing NGR: SP6425208031

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South - Date: 1912 - Page References: 324-5

National Grid Reference: SP 64252 08031

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 02:39:19.