List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRUEREDUS

List entry Number: 1158842

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRUEREDUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Breward

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67459

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST BREWARD CHURCHTOWN, St Breward SX 07 NE 5/192 Church of St Brueredus 17.12.62 GV I

Parish Church. Dedicated to St Brueredus. Norman origins, with later work associated with William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter, 1224-1245. Dedicated in 1278. Restored 1863- 64 by J P St Aubyn. Granite ashlar south porch and south aisle. Stone rubble north wall and ashlar north transept with straight joint possibly suggesting a widening to the north. Stone rubble east wall to chancel with a distinct batter. Granite ashlar west tower. Plan: Norman church possibly of cruciform plan with 6-bay north aisle, the probably Norman piers extant. Partly altered by William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter. 1224-1245 when the fenestration was altered. 5-bay south aisle added in C15, possibly contemporary with south porch and west tower. Restored in 1864 by J P Aubyn when the north aisle was partly rebuilt (Maclean). Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, strings and battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Recessed west door with 2-centred arched opening with carved heads forming stops. Renewed C19 Perpendicular west window. 3-light belfry openings with slate fenestration. North aisle has circa C13 2- light windows with cusped heads with circa C13 window to north transept. Chancel window replaced by J P Aubyn. Complete circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to south aisle. South porch with 2-centred arched entrance with sundial above dated and signed 1792 T Symons. Interior: C19 arch braced roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle and original circa C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 6-bay north arcade with 5 restored Norman piers of varying size and design in granite and Caen stone. 5-bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and engaged western pier with multiple moulded shaft. Font constructed of Norman fragments with square base, round shaft and unusual shaped font bowl. Originally had cluster of 4 shafts around central shaft. Remains of circa C15 carved bench ends. Remains of circa C15 rood loft or parclose screen forming parclose screen between chancel and north aisle and part also reused at west end of north aisle. Painted Royal Coat of Arms, 1700WR. Memorials include remains of slate tombchest of Christian Rogers, 1609 with two kneeling figures in relief: William Billing of Lanke, 1654 (of Higher Lank Farmhouse): John Adams, 1609. The interior of St Breward Church was illustrated by Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) in a cartoon of Dr Syntax in Search of the Picturesque Rowlandson based his cartoon figure on Rev Ralph Baron and stayed at Hengar (in St Tudy parish) on his visits between 1780 and 1812. Copies of the drawings are displayed in the church, the original is in the British Museum. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1875 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition 1970 Polsue, J Lakes Parochial History of The County of Cornwall 1867, reprinted 1974. Notes and guide in Church.



Listing NGR: SX0973077351

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Maclean, J - Title: Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall - Date: 1879
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 09728 77346

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 07:27:16.