List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1158413

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityDunnerdale-with-Seathwaite

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75855

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUNNERDALE AND SEATHWAITE SEATHWAITE SD 29 NW Church of Holy Trinity 3/83 25.3.70 II

Church. 1874. Money given by H.W. Schneider. Coursed slate rubble with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel with north organ loft and vestry. South elevation has 4 plain unchamfered lancet windows, with wide buttress between nave and chancel. Gabled porch has pointed arch and angle buttresses; flat rough stone attached, now with sundial, used at one time as shearing stool by Rev Robert Walker, for 67 years curate, made famous by Wordsworth as 'Wonderful Walker'. North elevation has 3 lancets to nave, gabled organ loft and flat-roofed vestry with coping. West end has 2 lancets and gabled outhouse with pointed entrance and gabled bellcote. East end has 3 stepped lancets, vestry entrance and leaded casement. Interior is simple, scissor rafter roof with ashlaring, double-chamfered chancel arch. Georgian royal arms. Holy water stoup set in wall. Chancel has arch to organ loft and ten commandments painted on wall; some stained glass. Brass plate re-set from grave stone, records Rev R. Walker (died 1802) and his wife , Anne (died 1800).

Listing NGR: SD2290496137

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 22904 96137

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 08:07:42.