List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CIRICIUS AND ST JULITTA

List entry Number: 1158407

Location

CHURCH OF ST CIRICIUS AND ST JULITTA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLuxulyan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Aug-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70934

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUXULYAN LUXULYAN SX 05 SE 7/180 Church of St Ciricius and St - Julitta 10.2.67 GV I

Parish church. Mid-late C15, with south porch of slightly later C15; late C19 restoration. Granite ashlar, slate roofs with ridge tiles and raised coped verges; granite dressings. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north aisle, south aisle and south porch. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower on moulded plinth with weathered string courses and embattled parapet. West side has pointed arched doorway with hood mould and relieving arch, recessed C19 double doors with strap hinges. 3-light window above with 4-centred arch and hood mould; 2nd stage to south has slate ventilator. 3rd stage all sides a 3-light bell- opening with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and upper tracery, slate louvres. North east stair tower has slate ventilation lancets at each stage and embattled octagonal turret. Chancel east gable end is stepped forward behond the north and south aisles, with continuous plinth; 4-light east window with 4-centred arch, hood mould with moulded stops and cusped lights with upper tracery. 5-bay north aisle has all 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads and hood mould, cusped lights with central light taller, upper tracery; between 2 windows to left and 3 to right, the rood stair tower, with pitched slate roof and lancet. The west gable end has similar window, east gable end also, but with all 3 lights the same height. 6-bay south aisle has porch in 2nd bay from left. All windows on south side as on north side of north aisle, some with tracery and mullions replaced in C19. East gable end has 3-light window with 4-centred arched head and hood mould, cusped ogee lights of equal height. West gable end has 3-light window with pointed arch and hood mould, pointed arched cusped lights of equal height with upper intersecting tracery. South porch on plinth which is not continuous with south aisle plinth, with tall embattled parapet. Tall 4-centred arched doorway with roll moulding and quatrefoils in spandrels, square hood mould with mask stops and moulded string course. Above the string course, an image niche with cusped head and brattished top, 3 turrets carved below. Interior : Tower has pointed arched hollow-chamfered north door to stair, ceiled in C19. Tall 4-centred tower arch with moulded imposts. Nave and chancel have continuous C19 ceiled wagon roof, in the chancel with moulded ribs and cusped panels between ribs. All walls have plaster removed. Nave and chancel have 6-bay arcade to north and south, all 4-centred arches with Cornish standard piers, of Pevsner 'A' type, all with rings on abaci except 2 piers to north east with quatrefoils carved on abaci. The north aisle has 12-bay C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, moulded wall- plates partially replaced in granite, plaster ceiling. Upper doorway to rood stair to north; at east end, cusped piscina in south wall. South aisle has 13-bay C15 wagon roof, with moulded ribs and wall-plate, some bosses remaining. At east end, 4- centred arched piscina in south wall. By south east window, left jamb cut back as an image stand; by right jamb, carved figure of an angel holding a shield. The south porch has granite floor, benches to sides, holy water stoup to right of doorway. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch, with roll mouldings.and central concave mouldings; C19 door with strap hinges. Stone vaulted roof in 4-bays, each of 2 lozenge shaped cusped panels; moulded stone wall-plate. Fittings: Norman stone font in nave, of Bodmin type, circular bowl with carved outer sides on central shaft, 4 outer shafts each surmounted by a carved head; on granite plinth. C19 wooden pulpit in nave, on granite base, incorporating wooden panels of heraldic carving. Pair of sanctuary chairs in chancel, probably mid C17, tall back with geometric carving and winged cherub to top, no arms. Plain late C19 pews in nave and aisles. Monuments in north aisle: slate tablet with nowy head and laudatory quatrain, to Matthew Wellington, 1794; slate tablet of C20 commemorating Walter Hicks, 1636; slate tablet with carved urns, to Henry and Ann Udy, 1789; slate tablet with nowy head and incised head of cherub with wings, to Loveday Williams, 1733 fine baroque monument with pilasters, broken segmental pediment with shield of arms and helm to top, batwinged skull on apron, convex oval inscription inscription panel with moulded surround and Latin inscription, to Joseph Carveth, vicar of the parish, 1728. Monuments in south aisle: slate tablet with nowy head and floral border, to Nicholas Avery, 1796, by N. Philip; classical marble monument with spear and fasces on pilasters, cornice and pediment with shield of arms, to Sir John Colman Rashleigh of Prideaux, 1847 and other members of the family; slate tablet with nowy head, to Elizabeth Rosevere, 1765; slate tablet with nowy head and incised cherub with wings, admonitory verses, to Joan Avery, 1785, by Henry Colliver. Tower west window has fragments of mediaeval glass including shields of arms; chancel east window has stained glass of the saints, erected in memory of Silvanus Trevail, 1903. Other windows with early C20 glass. (Sources : Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970).



Listing NGR: SX0520858067

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 05204 58067

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 11:53:16.