List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MELAINES

List entry Number: 1158147

Location

CHURCH OF ST MELAINES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityMullion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64658

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MULLION CHURCHTOWN SW 61 NE 5/78 Church of St Melaine's 10 7 57 GV I Parish Church, C15 nave, north and south aisles, porch and chancel. Tower circa 1512, erected by Robert Luddra. Portion of south wall of south aisle rebuilt in 1691 (datestone). Vestry possibly mid C19. Church restored in 1840 and in 1870 by F C Eden Rubble stone including granite and serpentine with granite ashlar blocks used in tower. Dry slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof and 7 bay north and south aisles not quite full length of nave. Narrow 3-light east window with late reticulated tracery, possibly C19. North aisle: stepped buttress to east of early wooden studded oak door. Five 4-centred, arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows with central cusped head raised. West window of north aisle similar. South aisle: very low priests door to chancel on south east with segmental arched opening. Wall between door and porch rebuilt in 1691. Three 4- centred arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows with central cusped head raised above flanking cusped head. To west of porch, 4-centred arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried window restored in C19. Porch: parapeted gable roof with C19 cross at apex. Unplastered original waggon roof with square bosses. Holy water stoup. Small opening at base of south door known as dog door. Unbuttressed west tower in 2 stages with slightly corbelled battlemented parapet and crocketed finials. 2-light belfry opening with pierced tracery heads, hood moulds and slate louvres on each side. Arch to west door earlier than main part of tower with drip mould and eroded heads in label stops. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Above this, immediately under the string course is a carved panel representing the crucifixion. Circa mid C19 vestry with fivelight mullioned C19 west window and 3- light mullioned C19 north window. Interior: arcade to north and south aisles, 7 bays with A-type (Pevsner) granite piers continuing from west to east wall. Original waggon roof over north and south aisles and over nave and chancel. Carved figures with shields at base of ribs to waggon roof in chancel with gilded central boss. Furnishings: Complete oak benches of about 1530 with moulded top rails and very fine carved bench ends with both Gothic and Renaissance elements. The order of these benches has possibly been altered. The chancel furnishings are C19 and C20. The pulpit incorporates 2 earlier carved panels and was dedicated in 1966. Oak rood screen dividing the east end, continues across the nave and aisles and incorporates a fragment of the C15 sole plate. The new screen was started in 1924 and completed in 1961 by Herbert Read of Exeter. Font, possibly C15 (Pevsner suggests C13). Hexagonal bowl with octagonal stepped shaft and circular base. Painted coat of arms over north door granted to Parish of Mullion by Charles II. Hatchment of Erisey family over south door. Wall paintings on south wall of south aisle by Samuel Triggs, Churchwarden, 1729. 2 classical architectural frames with inscriptions within. One has been partly blocked by the rood screen. Glass: East window filled with C16 glass found under the floor of the chancel in 1840 by Revd. F Gregory. Sources: E G Harvey Mullyon 1875 N Pevsner The Buildings of England, Cornwall 1970, 2nd edition

Listing NGR: SW6789219199

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harvey, E G, Mullyon, (1875)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 67891 19198

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 05:26:38.