List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1158033

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WRAXALL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityWraxall and Failand

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33595

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 47 SE WRAXALL WRAXALL HILL (west side)

3/204 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 11.10.61 G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered and enlarged early - mid C13 and late C14; restored 1851 and 1893 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. West tower; nave; north aisle and chapel; south porch and chapel; chancel. Ashlar and coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate and lead roofs with coped raised verges and behind plain parapets. West tower: banded stone of 2 colours; 4 stages, diagonal buttresses with off-sets; blank arcaded parapet with an image niche in the centre of each side; square corner pinnacles surmounted by smaller pinnacles; polygonal stair turret to north-east; 2-light windows in 2 tiers, string course which rises to form a headmould; 2-light west window, image niche with ogee head; moulded west doorway. Nave and south chapel: three 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped tracery and square hoodmoulds; buttresses with off- sets; sanctus bell-cote over east gable. South porch: square projecting porch, diagonal buttresses with off-sets; pointed doorway of 2 orders, stiff-leaf capitals to the columns (restored); dripmould with carved head stops; single light lancets on first floor; sundial in centre of parapet; decorative wrought- iron gate. Chancel: pointed priest's door has an inner roll moulding with head stops, outer hoodmould also with head stops; two 2-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped tracery, square heads and dripmoulds; 5-light C19 Perpendicular style east window. North aisle: three 3-light Perpendicular style windows, as the south side; projecting polygonal rood stair turret; pointed north door with outer roll moulding, hood mould with carved stops. South doorway is C12, columns with scalloped capitals; pointed and chamfered doorways to stairs to first floor room. Interior. Nave has 4 bay arcades, the piers consist of alternating engaged columns and hollow mouldings and have moulded capitals and abaci. Tower arch of continuous double hollow and ogee moulding; chancel arch of continuous hollow and roll moulding. The nave and north aisle roofs are C19, but rest on a good collection of C14 and C15 carved corbel heads. Former doorways to rood stair have chamfered surrounds and 4- centred heads; 4-centre headed doorway to upper room of porch to west of south door. South chapel is reached through a tall 4-centred arch of hollow and wave mouldings; 2 piscinae with ogee and trefoil head. The chancel is mostly late C19 by Blomfield: 5-bay arch-braced collar beam roof with cusped windbracing. The pulpit, lectern, organ and benches are also mid - late C19, in a Perpendicular style; the screens are by Blomfield and particularly well carved. Font. C15, octagonal, ashlar, with 2 blank arches on each side; on the pier adjoining the font is a stone book-rest supported on a demi-figure of an angel. Glass: a good collection of glass by C.E. Kempe from 1896, donated by the first Lord Wraxall; in the room above the porch is a late C15 lancet representing the Five Wounds, on a shield held by an angel. Monuments. Chancel: early C16 tomb chest to Sir Edmund and Lady Gorges in armour and robes with a finely carved front of heraldry flanked by angels; simple inscribed marble plaque to Thomas Holt, died 1687. South chapel: Charles Brent, died 1729 and Margarita Coopey, died 1744, aedicular marble tablets, flanked by pilasters with friezes. Nave: John Lucas, died 1817, marble by Tyley, 2 parents stand by an urn. North aisle: L. Lucas, died 1807, marble seated figure against a curved pedestal; W. King, died 1792, marble plaque with an urn. George and Henry Seymour, 1827, marble and freestone, gothic inscribed plaques with gabled canopies. The church is prominently situated and is a fine landmark with excellent details of Perpendicular style architecture (both mediaeval and late C19 by Blomfield). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958). .

Listing NGR: ST4902471971

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 49021 71969

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 02:55:56.