List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1157994

Location

GATEHOUSE ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLanhydrock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67552

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK SX 06 SE 9/70 Gatehouse about 40 metres east of 25.10.51 Lanhydrock House

GV I

Gatehouse. Dated ILR 1651, for John and Lucy Robartes. Granite ashlar. Lead roof behind parapet. Plan: Rectangular plan gatehouse with octagonal tower to each side. There is a central open passage at ground floor. The tower to right has a guard room at ground floor and small unheated chamber above. The tower to left contains the stair and closets. At first floor there is a central chamber, heated from a stack at the right side which is concealed within the parapet. The gatehouse was originally attached to the main house, which had an east range and forecourt walls ; those were demolished circa 1780, leaving the gatehouse freestanding. In 1857, the gatehouse was again attached to the house by the low garden walls, designed by George Gilbert Scott (q.v.). Exterior: Symmetrical 2-storey gatehouse, with octagonal tower at each side, all on moulded plinth with embattled parapet with obelisks with ball finials ; at the main angles each die has a freestanding Doric column set in front of ramped supporters. Central archway has a round arch with engaged columns and hood mould ; this outer arch partly supports the first floor chamber, which is jettied over the outer gateway. Inner rounded arched gateway with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels, hood mould with label stops. Round-arched niche with corbel to each side and cross loop below. Pintles remain from the early gate, which is replaced by a cast iron gate with brattished top panel, designed by George Gilbert Scott in 1857. There are 4 blank panels above the outer archway, and a 4-light chamfered granite window with king mullion, engaged columns to sides and blank panel to each side ; hood mould which is continued around the towers to right and left. The tower to right has blind windows at ground floor with 4-centred arches, hollow-chamfered, with roundels in the spandrels and an engaged column between the windows ; a cross-loop below each. Similar widows at first floor. At the left side, the gatehouse has a 4-light chamfered granite windw at first floor, with king mullion and hood mould ; similar 4- light blind window at the right side. At the rear, a central 4-centred arched gateway with engaged shafts with carved capitals at the sides, recessed spandrels and square hood mould. String course and 5 panels over, recessed, the central panel a diamond and the others cusped. The first floor chamber has 4-light window as at front, with a recessed cusped panel to each side. Embattled parapet with obelisks. The interior of the archway over the passage is ceiled, with plain moulded cornice. To right is a door to the guard room, C20 replacement plank door. To left is a panelled and studded C17 door with strap hinges. Both doorways are set in the angle to front, with granite surrounds with 4-centred arches, with recessed spandrels with roundels and cushion stops. Interior: The stair in the tower to left is a winder ; at ground floor there is a panelled C17 door, and a similar C17 panelled and studded door to the closet. The first floor chamber has a granite fireplace, with basket arch, roll-moulded with recessed spandrels. The doorway to the tower chamber is in granite, with 4-centred hollow-chamfered arch, with roundels in the spandrels. The windows to the central chamber have the king mullions with a moulding internally which is the same as the moulded king mullions in the gallery in Lanhydrock House (q.v.). On the roof there is a bellcote with bell dated 1811.

Listing NGR: SX0863663602

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SX 08636 63602

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 06:34:52.