List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE

List entry Number: 1157975

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT WINWALOE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityGunwalloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 65188

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 62 SE GUNWALLOE

3/29 Church of Saint Winwaloe 10.7.57 GV I

Church. Circa late C15/early C16, re-roofed circa 1869/71 and restored by Sedding. Shale rubble walls with granite dressings. 3 parallel roofs with 2 valleys and porch, all with grouted dry Delabole slate and coped gable ends. Plan: Nave/chancel under 1 roof, north aisle, south aisle and south porch plus rood stair projection to south aisle. Detached tower qv. West gable end of nave survives from the original church possibly pre 1400. West wall has 3 gables with nave at middle with C19 3-light freestone Perpendicular style window. South aisle gable, right has circa late C15/early C16 2-light window with round-headed lights. North aisle gable, left, has C19 freestone 2-light window with ogee headed lights, a copy of those to north wall. North wall of north aisle is totally C15 with original windows and 4-centred moulded arched doorway with C19 door. 3 windows to left of doorway and one to right, all with 2 trefoil and ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil over. Holy water stoup recess in right-hand jamb of doorway. East wall has 3 gable ends with central nave gable end projecting. East window of north aisle gable is C15 3-light Perpendicular with bulbous carved cusps, a more ornate form of those to north wall. Chancel window is C19 freestone copy of the south aisle east window and those to the south wall. All with three 4-centred nearly round-headed lights with central light taller and enclosed within shallow outer 4-centred arch. South wall has 4 windows: one left of porch, one at right of stair turret and 2 closer set between porch and stair turret. Porch has wide late Perpendicular doorway with octagonal panelled jambs and moulded baskets arch. Mounting block at left of doorway. Inner doorway has casement moulding to splayed jambs. Interior Fine C15 waggon roofs to porch and south aisle with carved wallplates, under purlins and ribs, except plain purlins and ribs at west end of aisle. 5-bay arcade to either side of nave adjoining aisles. Aisles have standard A (Pevsner) piers moulded and carved capitals and steep, moulded 4-centred arches. The nave roof is C19 arch-braced and the north aisle roof also C19 is of the coupled rafter type but incorporating surviving C15 carved oak wallplate. Round-headed doorway to newel rood stair, piscina in chancel and small niche in east wall of north aisle. Some C19 coloured glass in the east windows. Fittings: 2 fonts, one Norman of Pentewan stone with round bowl with stylized tree of life carving over round shaft and round moulded base, the other with granite octagonal bowl probably C15. 2 oak inner doors each incorporating 4 painted panels of the eight apostles and Perpendicular tracery over, reused from the rood screen and reputed to be made from the wreckage wood of "The St Anthony of Lisbon (or Padua) wrecked at Gunwalloe on 19th Jan. 1527 en route from Flanders to Portugal. (church guide). Parclose screens, stalls, benches and oak pulpit are C19 by Messrs. Read of Exeter. (church guide).

Listing NGR: SW6602020548

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of Saint Winwaloe Church Guide

National Grid Reference: SW 66020 20548

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 03:13:10.