List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1157868

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWalton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77966

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 56 SW WALTON WALTON

10/175 Church of St Mary

G.V. II*

Church. 1869-70, by Paley of Lancaster, (on site of medieval church, rebuilt 1811 and extended 1843). Hammer dressed red sandstone, with ashlar chamfered plinth, quoins and string courses; graduated slate roof with coped gables, cross finial and decorative ridge tiles. North-west square tower porch of 3 storeys; 4-bay nave with north aisle; 3-bay chancel. Tower: north entrance has pointed arch and plank door; pointed bell openings with engaged column surround, have louvred vents; pyramidal spire, projecting stair tower to west wall. Nave: steeply pitched roof to north, with projecting eaves, covers north aisle with small 2 light pointed lancets; south wall has large pointed lancets; 2 large pointed lancets and rose window to west end. Chancel has triple lancet east window with hood mould and quatrefoil window above. Interior: vaulted pine roof to nave and vestry, supported by king posts, each with 4 curved struts. Pews and other furnishings are late C19 or early C20. C10 or C11 free standing cross fragment at base of C19 font. White marble wall plaques are all early C19 from the earlier church. Altar frieze is in coloured mosaic in flowing leafy design of 1880's with alabaster surround. Brass plaques set in floor inside altar rail are of 1821-1865 commemorating members of the Johnson family of Walton House (Castlesteads).

Listing NGR: NY5221664490

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 52216 64490

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 02:46:36.