List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1157794

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityRamsey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54427

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL2885-2985 RAMSEY CHURCH GREEN 12/17 1.5.51 Church of St Thomas a Becket of Canterbury GV I

Circa 1180-90. Hospital, infirmary or guest-house for Ramsey Abbey. Aisled hall with chapel at east end. Vestry and Warden's lodgings (now demolished) adjoining chapel on north and south. Parish church C13 or C14. West Tower built 1672. Rubblestone and coursed Barnack ashlar. Continuous roof to nave and chancel with C19 plain tiles. Plain round corbels at eaves height. East wall of chancel: 3 round-headed windows, each flanked by pilaster buttresses. One vesica shaped window above centre bay, and one sealed round-headed window in gable end. South wall of chancel: early C14 window of 2 pointed lights in round head, and C16 or C17 doorway with 4 centred arch in square head. The remains of the shafts of the north-east, north-west and cross arch of the 1180-90 lodgings are visile in the wall. Each side of clerestorey has range of seven C15 2-light windows with cinquefoil tracery in 4 centred head with label. South aisle heightened in C15. Embattled parapet and 2 stage buttressing. Seven C15 3-light windows with vertical tracery in 4 centred heads with labels. One similar window at east and west end of aisle. C15 south doorway in 4 centred arch. West tower of 4 stages. Embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles at corners. Angle buttressing of 5 stages. Late C12 doorway rest. Round-heded arch of 4 orders, 3 moulded, having free shafts with decorated capitals, moulded abacii, bands and bases. Sunken rectangular panel above doorway with moulded frame and inscription "Take heed, watch and pray for ye know not when the time is, S. Mar 13.33". Above panel is round, raised panel. Second and third stages of the west wall have reused windows. Bell chamber has one 2-light window in each wall made up of reused stone. North aisle similar to south aisle except for C15 or C16 north doorway with stop moulded jambs and 4 centred arch in square head with blank shields in spandrels. Moulded label. Modern vestry to east. Interior of vestry has the remains of the vaulting shafts of 1180-90 lodgings or vestry.

Interior: chancel. Continuous roll moulding to roung-headed and vesica shaped windows. Quadripartite vault, unmoulded ribs of square section springing from attached shafts with cushion capitals. Chancel arch 2 centred and of 2 plain orders with moulded label and scrolled stops. Grouped shafts forming one group with responds of nave arcade. Main shaft keeled with scalloped capitals with common grooved and chamfered abaci, segmental on plan. Moulded bases on round plinth continued under arcade respond. Nave formerly of 8 bays, now 7. Two centred arches of 2 plain orders with chamfered label. Piers differ on plan but correspond in pairs on north and south. Each pier has moulded base and rebated plinth. East to west: 4 grouped keeled shafts; 8 grouped round shafts; round piers; square piers with 4 attached and keeled shafts; octagonal piers; 8 grouped and keeled shafts. Each capital differs. North arcade from east: waterleaf with square rebated abacus; leaf with grooved round abacus; part scalloped and with leaf with bead ornament. Square, rebated abacus; leaves with volutes and grooved, round abacus; scalloped with paired volutes and square, rebated abacus; leaves with volutes and grooved, round abacus. South arcade from east: leaves with volutes and square, rebated abacus; leaf ornament with grooved, round abacus; leaves with volutes and square, rebated abacus; waterleaf and round, grooved abacus; scalloped with square, rebated abacus; waterleaf with round, grooved abacus. Above second pair of piers from east is a pair of blocked openings, entrance to former road loft. Fittings: font. Late C12 or early C13, dark grey marble. Hexagonal with shaped lower edge. Six angle shafts. C19 middle shaft. C15 lectern. Oak. Square post with moulded, and embattled capital and 4 traceried buttresses. Double book rest with embattled ridge and crocketed tops to gables. Restored. C13 or C14 painting over easternmost arch of north arcade. C19 pews, numbered, and with poppyhead finials. Glass in chancel and south aisle. Commemorative glas, mostly early C20 in Arts and Crafts style. C13 piscinae, reset in south wall of chancel. Two centred head. Two quatrefoil drains in marble slab. Sedilia. Base of seats with piers between. Upper parts removed. Sills modern. Two C19 monuments. One inchancel to William Henry Fellowes. One in south to Edward Fellows.

R.C.H.H. (Hunts) p.204 V.C.H. (Hunts) vol (ii) Pevsner: Buildings of England (Beds, Hunts and Peterborough) p.332 Cambridge University Library; Add 3954-6 P Dickinson: Ramsey church and abbey (1947; revised 1964).

Listing NGR: TL2907085148

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 204
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Dickinson, P - Title: Ramsey Church and Abbey - Date: 1964
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1932
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough - Date: 1968 - Page References: 332

National Grid Reference: TL 29070 85148

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 10:38:26.