List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALHAMPTON HOUSE WALHAMPTON SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1157615

Location

WALHAMPTON HOUSE, B3054
WALHAMPTON SCHOOL, B3054

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityBoldre

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 144251

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 39 NW BOLDRE B3054 Walhampton 14/29 Walhampton House Walhampton School GV II*

Medium-sized country house, now school. Early C18, much enlarged 1884 by N Shaw who added Queen-Anne style block, original part remodelled 1911 by T Mawson. Orange/red brick older part, plum brick C19 range, some stone dressings, old plain tile roofs. Plan of 2½ storey (attic behind parapet), 5 bay projecting wings at each end one side, full-height canted bays on other, at one end against wing but set back narrow bay linking to Shaw block of 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays, set forward 2 bays from link, but in line with facade on other side, at other end C20 additions in C18 style. Entrance front has plinth with moulded brick offset. In centre 3 bay wide stone platform above 3 steps with bowed front. Large stone Corinthian doorcase with segmental pediment cutting 1st floor string. In each bay, including narrow bay, thin 18-pane flush-frame sashes, on moulded stone sills, under rubbed arches with raised keys running up to heavy moulded 1st floor string, which cuts quoins but comes round lead downpipes. On 1st floor sashes,similar sashes with tops of raised keys, in stone, joining 2nd floor stone cornice. Panelled parapet with narrow panels under rubbed arches and stone coping. Raised brick quoins and lead downpipes either side of centre 3 bays and on sides of wings. Roof hipped with short hipped roofs for wings. Above each of centre bays and on hips of wings 2-light flat roofed dormers. Stacks on front of ridge in line with inner face of wings. Shaw's range stiff and rather dull Queen Anne style. Inside older part whole of front pile remodelled in 1911 into hung oak and plaster hall in C18 style. Behind in centre bays long saloon with marble fireplace with Corinthian columns, and ceiling might be C18. In RH (from front) end wing to front room with Oriental style ceiling and red C19 porphyry fireplace, behind music room with Italian stuccoist's ceiling, niches off it lead to C2O ballroom, now chapel.

Listing NGR: SZ3316596676

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 33163 96674

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 07:27:01.