List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1157613

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireCravenDistrict AuthorityBentham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324073

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BENTHAM LOW BENTHAM SD 66 NW 5/5 Church of St John the 20.2.58 Baptist GV II* Parish church. C15 west tower, rest heavily restored by R Norman Shaw, 1876-78. Squared rubble; stone dressings, slate roof. West tower, north entrance porch. 2 bay nave, north and south aisles, one bay chancel, north vestry, south side chapel. Perpendicular. 3 stage, west tower. Restored 2-centre head to west door, dripstone; 1870s 2-leaf plank doors with decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Second stage: 1870s 3-light Perpendicular with 2-centre heads and curved dripstone. Bell stage: 2-light trefoil headed window with mouchettes in spandrels; dripmould. Diagonal buttresses; partly embattled parapet with 4 crocketed finials all c1980 (2 C15 finials in churchyard, west of tower). North entrance porch 1870s: 2-centre arch entrance with moulded surround; 2-leaf plank door and decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Half-hipped roof. Nave: Perpendicular windows with 3 cinquefoil headed lights: hood moulds. 2 similar windows in clerestorys, and one to vestry. Chancel, 1870s. Stepped east window is 2-centre, 5 lights each have cinquefoil heads. Tudor flower decoration below gable end parapet. Finials to buttresses and cross at gable end ridge. South wall of chancel has wreathed C15 2-light chamfered mullioned window with trefoil head and 1870s hoodmould. 2 similar windows in south wall of south side chapel but with restored cavetto mullions. Above is late C18/early C19 stone sundial with floral decoration inscribed LAT 54° 7'; iron gnomon. Interior Nave: font by Lethaby. c1890. Pulpit by Shaw has stone base and wood surround with linenfold panelling; exposed king post roof, stone corbels. 2 bay arcade to north and south aisles. C15 two-centre chancel arch. Chancel: stalls with poppyhead carving by Shaw. In North wall is 1870s 6-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with king mullion at clerestory level, now partly obscured by teak organ case by Shaw and Lethaby, 1886. Reredos in Caen stone by Shaw, carved by Thomas Earp. Maw's majolica tiles to walls. Several stained glass window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Stone cruciform carving in south aisle window, probably C13. Source: A Saint, Richard Norman Shaw (1976); Royal Academy London, plans and elevations by Shaw.



Listing NGR: SD6447369272

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976)

National Grid Reference: SD 64473 69272

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 08:09:29.