List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MUNGO

List entry Number: 1157154

Location

CHURCH OF ST MUNGO, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthoritySimonburn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 240822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SIMONBURN THE GREEN NY 8773 (West side, off) 19/138 Church of 15/4/69 St. Mungo II*

Parish church. C13; aisles rebuilt 1763 by Robert and William Newton; chancel rebuilt 1863-4 by Anthony Salvin; nave and aisles restored and re-fenestrated and porch added 1875-7 by R.J. Johnson. Squared and dressed sandstone; graduated green slate roofs. Aisled nave with north porch; chancel. Early English with C19 alterations in same style.

4-bay nave has 5-light plate-tracery west window flanked by C13 buttresses; gabled west bellcote with twin openings; steep roof. Buttressed aisles with fragments of C13 chamfered plinth have grouped lancets and low pent roofs. Pointed 1877 north aisle doorway. 3-bay chancel: lower part of north wall and western part of south wall are medieval; restored buttresses with chamfered bases and gablets; 4 lancets, re-cut Priest's door and 2-light low-side window with stepped sill strings and continuous hoodmould on south; 2 lancets on north; angle-buttressed east end with 3 stepped lancets; steeply-pitched roof. Tall gabled porch has elaborate pointed doorway of 3 orders with colonnettes; steep roof.

Interior: 3 eastern bays of nave slope down to chancel. Nave arcade (possibly reconstructed c.1877) has 4 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal piers with moulded bases and hollow-chamfered capitals. Similar chancel arch partly rebuilt in 1877. Aisle windows have splayed rear arches on colonnettes. Restored trefoil-headed double piscina on south chancel wall.

Fittings, monuments and stained glass. Early C18 vase-shaped stone font and late C19 octagonal stone font in nave. Fragments of monument to Rev. Cuthbert Ridley died 1637 ( 3 kneeling figures and a recumbent child) at east end of south aisle. 1854 Allgood monument with carved angel by M. Noble on north aisle wall. Aedicular monument to Rev. Major Allgood died 1696 on north chancel wall. Several worn late C17-early C18 floor monuments in chancel. Several carved stone fragments including part of a Saxon cross shaft set on inner walls of porch. 1877 east window and several aisle windows by C.E. Kempe.

(Rev. C.D. Ward Davis, The Great Parish of Simonburn, 1972)

Listing NGR: NY8708773564

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Davie, Reverend C D Ward , The Great Parish of Simonburn, (1972)

National Grid Reference: NY 87087 73564

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:06:58.