List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUTER GATEHOUSE RUINS AND LENGTH OF PRECINCT WALL RUNNING EAST TO ABBEY GATE COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1156673

Location

OUTER GATEHOUSE RUINS AND LENGTH OF PRECINCT WALL RUNNING EAST TO ABBEY GATE COTTAGES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityBeaulieu

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143281

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAULIEU BEAULIEU MANOR ESTATE Sir 3802/3902 17/21 Outer Gatehouse ruins and length of precinct wall running east to 8.10.59 Abbey Gate Cottages GV II* Outer gatehouse, ruins and part of precinct wall. C13, gatehouse rebuilt C19. Rubble stone, stone dressing, old plain tile roof. Outer gatehouse of archway with room over in tall gabled roof with clock tower, lean-to room on one side. l½ storey, 1 bay cottage on other, with wall running from this for some 50m and beside it inside precinct remains of Abbey Mill. Gatehouse has central late C13 segmental-head archway. Over rebuilt gables with 3 loopholes to outer gable and offset, 2 rectangular openings and pointed lancet. On roof C19 square-plan clock tower of tile hanging. Clock-faces and louvred openings under hipped roof. On one side lean-to with rectangular window either end and gabled dormer on side. Above lean-to on side of main part C19 2-shafted stone stack. On other side cottage part with rectangular window on either end, and door on inner end. Side has gabled dormer on hip of roof and C19 2-shafted stack beside. From below this starts wall some 3m high with gabled coping of inclined stones. Wall runs from corner of gatehouse 40m east, then turns north-east to run into corner of Abbey Gate Cottage (qv). For mill remains see VCH; Vol IV; 1991; p.632.

Listing NGR: SU3872802453

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1911 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 632

National Grid Reference: SU 38768 02367

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 02:50:16.