List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1156545

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityEastleach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTLEACH EASTLEACH MARTIN SP 1905-2005 13/171 Church of St Michael and St Martin 26.1.61 GV I Parish church. C12; C13 chancel and C14 transept. Random rubble limestone; chancel partly roughcast stone slate roof. Nave with west tower, south porch, north transept and chancel. Plainly moulded round arched C12 south doorway with pelleted imposts and jamb shafts having cushion capitals. C13 parapet gabled porch with pointed arch and sundial finial. Trefoil-headed niche in east wall of porch. Indications of altered window openings to south nave wall; fine late C13 nave window with intersecting tracery to right of porch; 2-light with cusped trefoil heads to left. Blocked square-headed north doorway; high-level blocked pointed window to right. Diagonal offset buttresses to west wall of 2-stage tower with large Perpendicular 3-light window. Small square belfry openings. Low-pitched sprocketed hipped tower roof with tall weathervane finial. Stair turret set at angle on north side of tower with cross loop opening and coped top. Parapet gabled north transept has very good 5-light north window having Decorated tracery of intersecting type. Three-light east and west transept windows with Decorated tracery. Remains of bellcote to east gable end of nave. Three-light east chancel Early English window; large cusped image niche above. Lancets to side walls of chancel; moulded pointed arched south priest's doorway. Interior: limewashed throughout. C19 restored nave roof, hammer beam trusses alternating with collar trusses. Tall C15 four- centred tower arch; tower stair doorway set well above floor level to right. C12 jambs with cushion capitals to C13 pointed chancel arch. Transept arch has nailhead enrichment to jamb shaft capitals; head terminals to hoodmould. Fine carved corbels to rere-arches of transept windows. Wagon roof is unrestored. Rere- arches in chancel have cusping towards east end. Fine large rere- arch to east window has carved heads to terminals of short shafts below capitals with nailhead decoration. Trefoil-headed piscina. Hexagonal timber pulpit contains Jacobean panelling. Late medieval pews to rear of nave; C17 pews towards front with end finials. Octagonal C15 stone font with quatrefoil panel to each face. Large memorial panel below sill of chancel window to Mary Horton, died 1736, has marble plaque with latin inscription. Various fragments of medieval stained glass. Church was founded by Richard Fitzpons, a Norman whose son granted it to Great Malvern Priory about 1120. Now vested in the Redundant Churches Fund and well preserved. (N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Martin' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp. 55-61; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979

Listing NGR: SP2022805216

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 55-61
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 20226 05222

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:32:03.