List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1156312

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityShotley Low Quarter

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 240628

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL NZ 05 NW NZ 046552

10/257 Church of St. Andrew. 15.4.69

GV II

Parish Church, now redundant. Rebuilt 1769 (date on crossing arch) on medieval hilltop site; restored and altered 1892 (dated slab on east wall). Coursed rubble with cut quoins and dressings; slate roof. Equal-armed cruciform plan with gabled entrance porch on south transept gable. C19 studded double doors in pointed arch; single round- arched lights in gable above porch roof and in side walls of nave and both transepts; north transept has projecting end stack and studded door in chamfered surround on right[ Nave west end has pointed window under plain arched bellcote with pedimented top. Chancel has paired lancets in side walls and C19 east windows in C13 style: 2 lights below a quatrefoil. Dated slab with cross, flanked by heads of early medieval slabs with expanded-arm crosses, below. All gables coped with swept kneelers and various finials. Several C18 headstones affixed to exterior walls, including one west of porch to William Dixon of Shotley field, 1767; pedimented top, scrolly surround, foliage decoration.

Interior: chamfered segmental diagonal arches over crossing, dated at intersection. C19 moulded credence table and piscina corbelled out from chancel window sills. Mural tablets on east side of south transept (Rev. Thomas Simpson, 1754 with Latin inscription in scrolly frame) and at west end (Christopher Hunter, 1757,'a learned and judicious Antiquary and Physician'). Fittings late C19, including panelled vestry screen across north transept; small chamfered C18 vestry fireplace. Stone benches in porch.

Listing NGR: NZ0453055198

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 04530 55198

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 10:21:30.