List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1156218

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityTangley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 35 SW TANGLEY TANGLEY

4/4 Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury

II*

Parish church. Of early medieval origin, mainly a rebuild of 1875 to the design of William White, with a western tower of 1898. Single cell, with a small apse (on old foundations), a north transept, north vestry at the west end, and south porch. Plain tile roof overall, with a lower apse roof of 5 hips above a semi-circular eaves. The walls are of coarse flints with 2 thin horizontal bands of tiles, stone chequer pattern in the upper part of the apse, stone dressings; buttresses, plinth, coupled windows (one triple) with cusping and plate tracery, and 2 very small apse windows. The east gable (an early fragment) has a coupled opening with round arches on simple impost blocks of early Romanesque form. The tower is of stone, with flat corner buttresses, an octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner, and a shingled broach spire. Within, the church is plain: in the apse the south window is set within a 2-arched arcade; the chancel arch (in the very thick east wall) is pointed, with impost blocks, the tower arch has many mouldings, merging with the jamb, the inner mouldings finishing on carved brackets. The chief feature of the church is a lead font (probably early C17), being a tub on a C20 fluted wooden base, and having raised cast ornament, of fleur-de-lys, thistle and rose.

Listing NGR: SP3341052448

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 33409 52447

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:38:38.