List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1156148

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityCranham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 132701

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 81 SE CRANHAM -

1/142 Church of St James

28.6.60

GV II*

Parish church. C12, mostly altered C15 and C16. Major restoration and enlargement 1894-5 by S. Gambier-Parry. Ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with north and south aisles; north porch, west tower and chancel with north vestry. Parapet gabled porch and north aisle date from late C19 alterations, north doorway reusing a Norman voussoir as keystone. These additions in Perpendicular style, round porch archway having cinquefoil image niche over with crocketed hood. Three-light aisle window; 2-light to west end being former east window from an earlier C19 restoration. Longer parapet gabled south aisle also much restored, extending to east over side wall of chancel. Two 2-light windows, one early C16 with Tudor lights. C13 lancet restored and reset in west gable end. Chancel rebuilt late C19 with Perpendicular style 3-light east window, panel below having carved Crucifixion scene. Three-stage late C15 tower with diagonal offset west buttresses and 2-light west window, hoodmould having carved stops. Two sets of sheep shears carved above north west buttress may indicate tower was a gift from a local wool merchant. Two-light trefoil-headed belfry openings with stone louvres. String course below crenellated parapet has carved gargoyle diagonally at each corner. Interior: 3-bay late C15 south arcade with octagonal piers copied in late C19 north aisle. Small raised rood loft doorway adjacent to C19 round chancel arch. Original wagon roof to south aisle. C15 or early C16 rood beam with vine trail carving and traceried timber screen below has early C20 figures added. Three-bay C19 chancel roof with cusped trusses. East window has 2 trefoil-headed jamb niches, each with carved figure. Old master style painted triptych reredos. Delicately carved pulpit front matches altar frontal - both late C19. Octagonal C19 stone font on tall fluted base. Fine Baroque monument in south aisle with segmental pediment surmounted by crest and torch bearing putti. Panel, inscribed to Obadiah Done, Rector, died 1738, flanked by pilasters and 2 further putti with fronds. Several C18 monuments in tower. Some good stained glass: north west window by Wailes of Newcastle. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Cranham' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp 199-210; and D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8910812410

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 199-210
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)

National Grid Reference: SO 89108 12410

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:16:27.