List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANSION

List entry Number: 1155735

Location

MANSION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityBisley-with-Lypiatt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 132653

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 80 NE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT LYPIATT PARK

4/94 Mansion (previously listed as Lypiatt Park)

28.6.60

GV I

Large country house. Mid C16. Alterations and additions 1809-1815 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Sir Paul Baghott; minor alterations c1841 by Samuel Daukes for Samuel Baker; further additions 1876-77 by T.H. Wyatt for Sir John Dorington. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. East-west range, 2-storey with attic; 2-storey south east wing to form L-plan. Various 2 and 3-storey additions at north end and single-storey cloister linking with chapel (q.v.). North front: mostly C16 house with crenellated parapet added by Wyatville. From east to west, 2-storey canted bay window with round arched mullioned casements and crenellated parapet. Moulded 3-centred arched doorway with 3-light casement above having trefoil-headed lights; single-light in crow-stepped gable above topped by diagonal-set chimney. Former 2-storey porch removed in C20. Double height crenellated hall bay window to right rebuilt by Wyatville. Two attic dormers with shaped barge boards set back behind parapet. Two-window fenestration in higher part of front to right is C19, mullioned and transomed with mullioned casements to upper floor, all with trefoil heads. Three-storey tower at west end with machicolated parapet and small circular stair turret is part of Wyatville's alterations; trefoil-headed mullioned and transomed casements to front, C13 style pointed windows and doorway on east side. Perpendicular tracery to 3 large windows in cloister projecting forward to right; at outer-ends a 4-centred moulded doorway with shields in carved panel above. East front: parapet gable end of north range to right with single- window fenestration, mullioned and transomed to ground and upper floors, 2-light to attic, all ovolo moulded with hoodmoulds. Wing to left is Wyatville's addition, each main room forming large square block projection to elevation, lower linking machicolated parapet between. Large canted bay window with coloured glass and quatrefoil tracery to ground floor of each of the 2 blocks; tall Perpendicular-traceried window above each. C13 style lancets to recessed linking parts of elevation, that to right in form of tall narrow stair window. Range extended to left by T.H. Wyatt. South side: asymmetrical end block to south east wing by T.H. Wyatt has pointed arched doorway to left, flanked by offset buttresses and has roundel above inscribed KD CHD1877; Decorated-traceried window above; canted Perpendicular-traceried bay window to right. Square 2-storey bay on west side of Wyatt's addition. West side of remainder of wing is Wyatville's symmetrical elevation with central 2-storey canted bay, richly traceried and panelled; 2 slender offset buttresses with crocketed pinnacle tops and outer pointed windows, the whole finished with panelled crenellated parapet. One and a half parapet gables of main C16 range remain unobscured by additions to left, this wall rebuilt c1700 when ancient hall enlarged, reusing mullioned and transomed hall windows with round- arched lights. Plainish cross-gabled 2-storey addition with attic to left has octagonal turret to section linking with 3-storey service block in south west corner, the latter a Wyatt addition. Interior: much of house has simple white-painted stone or plaster walls acting as backdrop to sculpture by present owner, Mr. Lynn Chadwick. Rooms at east end of original house have extensive panelling, that on upper floor with unorthodox classical doorcase with 2 superimposed Ionic pilaster orders; this said to be room used by hatchers of the Gunpowder Plot, one of whom, John Thockmorton, was Lord of Over Lypiatt Manor at that time. Wyatville rooms have panelled ceilings with oak leaf bosses; several with good Gothick style fireplaces. Doorcases are mix of Regency reeded type and Gothick. Staircase in Gothick style has upper floor landing having view through tracery into double-height corridor of south east wing. Present house is most noted for picturesque Gothick additions by Wyatville and sensitive further additions by T.H. Wyatt. Stands on excellent hill top site overlooking the deep Lypiatt and Toadsmoor valleys. Many associated outbuildings including chapel, granary, dovecote, stables and castellated garden terrace wall (all q.v.). (Articles in Country Life, 1st December 1900 and 9th July 1964; N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 99-145; N. Kingsley, notes for forthcoming book, n.d.; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lyoiatt, 1937; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8858705852

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Rudd, MA - Title: Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt - Date: 1935
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 1 December - Date: 1900 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 9 July - Date: 1964 - Journal Title: Country Life
  4. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 16 Gloucestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  6. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1976 - Volume: 11 - Page References: 99-145

National Grid Reference: SO 88587 05852

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 12:59:19.