List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BIBURY COURT HOTEL

List entry Number: 1155708

Location

BIBURY COURT HOTEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBibury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY BIBURY VILLAGE SP 1006-1106 11/64 Bibury Court Hotel (Formerly listed as Bibury Court) 23.1.52 GV Former large country house, now hotel. Late C16; large additional range and wing dated 1633 for Sir Thomas Sackville. Interior remodelled c1759 for Estcourt Cresswell; further C19 addition and alterations; c1922 interior alterations by Nightingale and Kennedy. Ashlar limestone; roughcast render; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 2-storey with attic north-south range; south wing. North wing formed from C16 house; late C19 2-storey north wing. East front: symmetrical centre flanked by asymmetrical - although balanced - north and south wings. Three gables with moulded parapets and finials to main range, central gable being shaped with 2-storey porch below having round arched doorway set between Tuscan pilasters all having Serlian rustication; ball finials to pilasters above continuous ground floor entablature. Pedimented tablet over doorway contains Sackville arms and is dated 'ANO DNI : 1633' on frieze; Sackville initials carved on oval set in tympanum. Mullioned and transomed casement to upper floor of porch with second continuous entablature over; crenellated parapet. Four-light wide mullioned and transomed casements to 2-storey rectangular bays in line with outer gables, also with crenellated parapet; 3-light cavetto mullioned attic casements with floating cornices in gables. Flanking 2- Light wide cross windows to main range wall, either side of each bay. Contemporary 1633 south wing projects forward with 2 forecourt-facing gables; 2 to east elevation of different sizes, right with 2-storey bay window set below. Entablatures continued from main range. Late C16 house forms north wing to right with 2 forecourt-facing gables, 2-window fenestration below generally matching that to main range although set at lower levels. Two gables of different sizes to east front, left with original ground floor 3-light casement with hoodmould, mullioned and transomed casement to upper floor and 3-light to attic. Inserted upper floor 12-pane sash below right gable. C20 rebuilt service wing to right possibly incorporates earlier structure. Many rainwater heads dated 1759. South end and rear: irregular with many gables, entirely roughcast rendered with continuous drip moulds to south end only. Some gables at south end have rectangular recess in gable apex. Fenestration generally mullioned and transomed with mullioned attic casements, all with hoodmoulds. Several gables have 2 or 3 diagonal chimney shafts with moulded caps. c1922 alterations include glazed arcade to part of rear elevation. Interior: mostly results from c1922 with some more recent alterations in conversion to hotel. Former library has interesting French Art Deco panelling and decoration by Dominic. One upper floor room at north end retains mid C18 decorative plasterwork to ceiling and contemporary fireplace. Some late C16 moulded stone doorways in north wing. Plastered cross-vaulted ceilings in attics of south wing. Picturesque position alongside river at east end of village. Two buildings contemporary with late C16 house stand to north: outbuilding and stable (q.v.) and Coach House Bar (q.v.). (A.D., article in Country Life, 7th September 1912; A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp.21-44; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP1187006493

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 7 September, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 11870 06493

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 05:07:15.