List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARLINGTON ROW

List entry Number: 1155677

Location

ARLINGTON ROW, 1-9, AWKWARD HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBibury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY AWKWARD HILL SP 1006-1106 (south side) 11/60 Nos 1 to 9 (consec) Arlington Row 23.1.52 GV I Originally wool store, possibly containing domestic portion. Altered to row of weavers' houses. Late C14; late C17 conversion with late C17 or early C18 additions. Repaired by Royal Society of Arts in 1929; restored by The National Trust in early 1970s. Random rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate roof. Earliest part is single-storey with attic; 2-storey houses added at ends, one to east, 2 to west. Various single-storey rear additions, some with attics. Front: low eaves to early part with 4 half gables, 3 eaves-mounted gables and 2 C20 hipped roof dormers. Three half gables of unequal size are grouped to left, one with 2-light recessed chamfered casement, others with leaded timber casements and timber lintels. Mixture of leaded casements to ground floor; paired doorways with timber lintels and plank doors to No 3. Stone flat-arched doorway to No 5; timber lintel to No 6. Two gabled eaves-mounted dormers and 2 hipped roof dormers to Nos 5 and 6, all with leaded casements. Two-light ground floor recessed chamfered casement with hoodmould to Nos 6 and 7. Ridge- mounted chimneys. are mostly C20 rebuilt with plain caps except one in ashlar with moulded cap. Original gable end coping partially visible at west end with trefoil enriched apex saddle. C17 east end addition to left has higher eaves and upper floor timber casement; blocked former doorway to ground floor now containing small leaded fixed-light. C17 additions to west end step up slope, each house having half gable and leaded timber casement fenestration with timber lintels. Rear: many gabled additions of various dates. Mixed fenestration, mostly timber casements with timber lintels. Coped gable ends to original building are more easily visible to rear. Interior: extensively subdivided upon conversion to houses, dividing walls containing fireplaces and spiral staircases not coinciding with positions of roof trusses. Many houses built to cross-passage plan. Most trusses are of raised cruck type with arched braced collars, one cruck blade consisting of 3 pieces scarfed together. Since William Morris's 'discovery' of Bibury, this row has been considered as the most picturesque in the Cotswolds, the undulating roofline resulting from some weakening of the original roof structure. The effect is enhanced by the addition of irregular C17 gables and its position by the mill stream. Owned by The National Trust. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.21-44; E. Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1975; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; and L.F. Walrond, 'The Medieval Houses of Rural Gloucestershire in ed. A. Saville, Archaeology in Gloucestershire, 1984).

Listing NGR: SP1149906658

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Walrond, L, 'Archaeology in Gloucestershire' in The Medieval Houses of Rural Gloucestershire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SP1149906658

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 12:24:56.