List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOUGHTON MANOR AND GATE PIERS TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1155345

Location

DOUGHTON MANOR AND GATE PIERS TO NORTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityTetbury Upton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128628

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

ST 89 SE TETBURY UPTON DOUGHTON

5/343 Doughton Manor and gate piers to north 5.9.54

GV

Large Manor House. Built between c1628 and 1641 for Richard Talboys, restored in 1933. Said to be of cob, with stone porches, quoins and stacks and bay windows. Cotswold stone-slate roof. H-plan, with through passage linking central projecting porches on north and south facades (which are very similar). 3 storeys and attic. 5 gables, centre 3 smaller. 6 windows, 2 and 3-light stone mullion casements with continuous dripmoulds to ground and 1st floors. Central porch of coursed rubble has 2 storeys and attic, round-arched doorway with keystone and impost blocks and squared moulded architrave with flattened arched doorway, reduced radial fanlight and double studded doors. Most windows leaded, or latticed, some with ancient glass. Left-hand gable has 3 windows in staggered sequence. 2nd gable from left and right-hand gable have stone stacks with multiple flues with caps missing; on south front very tall stack on inside face of east gable. Inside front porch, initials RT and date 1641 to right, FAM 1933 to left. Gate piers of about 3.5m in height of squared rubble with elaborate corniced structure and ball finials, with initials RT on left pier and date 1641 on right pier. Interior retains several panelled rooms, and large stone fireplaces including one on first floor bearing arms of Talboys and Abarrow (Richard Talboys married Elizabeth Abarrow in 1632). (David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1979; Cook, Houses of the West Country).

Listing NGR: ST8798291495

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

National Grid Reference: ST 87982 91495

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:28:50.