List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MATFEN HALL

List entry Number: 1155328

Location

MATFEN HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityMatfen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238671

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MATFEN MATFEN NZ 07 SW

14/187 Matfen Hall

27.8.52

GV II*

Country house. 1828-30 by Rickman, completed by Sir Edward Blackett for himself. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Jacobethan style externally. Symmetrical main block with large irregular ranges around 2 courtyards on the west side.

South front: Main block, 2 storeys plus attics; 5 bays with each bay breaking forward from wall face. Centre and outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows; all windows are mullioned-and-transomed with roll-moulded surrounds, and each bay has parapet with pierced diamond-shaped panels; shaped gables over outer bays. Similar detail to 3-bay section recessed on left. Gabled roof with many tall, octagonal corniced stacks.

Entrance front (North): Main block 3 storeys, 7 bays. Projecting central porch tower; Tudor-arched doorway with Blackett shield and motto above and an elaborate canted oriel window on 1st floor. Projecting on right a symmetrical 6-bay service wing with 3-storey outer bays and centre with mullion-and-transom crosses on ground floor and gabled half-dormers above. Beyond this the stable court with 4 Tudor-arched carriage entries.

Interior: very large, full-height Gothic hall with 2 tiers of pointed arches along south side, lst-floor windows with Geometric tracery on north and east sides and a huge Geometric window with stained glass,on west side; Gothic oak staircase with castellated newels; hammer-beam roof. Drawing room has white marble fireplace by Chantrey with female figures in the jambs and shells in the frieze. Former library has early C17 fireplace with terms, and overmantel with strapwork and demi-figures. In west wing a late C17 staircase with twisted balusters; also a very slender cantilevered spiral stair with sweeping smooth soffit.

Now used as a Cheshire Home.

Listing NGR: NZ0315871652

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 03158 71652

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:34:37.