List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARNSLEY PARK

List entry Number: 1155256

Location

BARNSLEY PARK, A433

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBarnsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 00 NE BARNSLEY A433, Barnsley Park Estate (off north side)

1/51 Barnsley Park

4.6.52 GV I Dates 1720 and 1721 on rainwater heads, reputedly finished by 1731. For Henry Perot, MP for Oxford, a dillettante in the circle of the Duke of Chandos; variously attributed to John Price and William Townsend amongst others, presumably working to a more capable Architect (Archer has been suggested). Re-decorated by Anthony Keck in circa 1780, one room by John Nash circa,1811. An excellent example of Georgian Baroque, partly provincial in some aspects (south front), but, otherwise, sophisticated. Beautifully laid golden ashlar walls, leaded roofs. Very compact, but irregular plan with central 2-storey hall; probably includes earlier structure, see unresolved north side. Three storeys, second floor partly treated as attic storey; balustraded parapet. Glazing bar sash windows with moulded architraves, second floor with cornices. The main, west, entrance front is 9 bays wide and has a break of 3 bays with heavy pediment within parapet, and heavy entablature over the giant CorinL,ran pilaster order; band over ground floor with tall I(ey stones over the ground floor windows (centre ones arched) applied to it, wider (sill) band below outer attic storey, windows; the play of elements includes pediments to outer first floor windows and open pediment with shell to central window below pediment; the entrance is under-played with simple pilaster responds to arched head, like the flanking windows. The giant pilaster order of the south front beckons at the corner and the south front is rather different. 1:5:1 bays, the main features are the single bay end projections framed by corner piers and with niches on the inside faces; arched windows on ground floor, outer ones under bracketed cornices and with mask key stones; the other prominent feature is the order which carried a full and bold entablature which, in turn, supports a proper attic storey with pilasters between the windows; the outer first floor windows have exaggerated scroll brackets. The east front is 7 bays wide, not axial with entrance front, with spectacular 1:3:1 full-height flat bow; details borrowed from south and west fronts, the whole framed by giant corinthian pilasters, supporting shorter pilasters of the second floor; the central 3 windows are in a flat panel; the ground floor windows arched, the central 5 under continuous cornice with enriched scroll brackets and panelled pilasters; cornices also over the second floor windows; ground floor windows have lugged architraves to sem-circular heads; central first floor niche. Excellent interior with superb plaster work, preumably by the Artai or Bagutti, or stuccadors of that class (attributed to Charles Stanley by Hussey). Heroic 2-storey hall with screen supporting gallery at east end of inner hall; to NW chaste dining-room re-decorated circa 1780 by A Keck with buffet screen of fluted Corinthian columns: ground floor bow window room (previous saloon) re-decorated by NFash as library in Egyptian (English Empire) style; staircase opposite drawing-room ti north with back stairs behind; on first floor, the Oak Room panelled and with superb fireplace with overmantel similar to one at Hall Place, Maidenhead. The best feature of the house is the plaster work - in the staircase and in the 2 halls and, particularly, in the main hall, a splendid Baroque masterpiece in the best manner; the central relief and panels and niches below create an effect of richness which is enhanced by the open-arched corners of the coffered cove; the ground floor has an order of fluted composite pilasters and a magnificent marble fireplace with high relief overmantel (elliptical pediment with reclining female forms in a Rococo frame - rather advanced for 1731). The house appears to have been built for Henry Perot who married ir> 1719 Martha Bourchier the niece of the future Duke of Chandos. The fact that the house has no known Architect has led to a multiplicity of attributions; similarities with Cannons and Moor Park and Vanbruggian overtones, have led to suggestions that the design was possibly by an architect of the second rank eg, John Price, who had worked at Cannons and at Moor Park or William Townsend as well as to Smith of Warwick, working to the design of an architect of the first rank, such as Archer (as at Heythrop, Oxon). Furthermore, the presence of a statue thought to be of Thornhill in the inner hall has suggested him as architect too. The setting is an irregular picturesque Park with mature hardwood trees. The house deserves to be more fully studied, but, for an excellent introduction, see articles by Christopher Hussey in Country Life 2 and 9 September 1954. See also: A Avray Tipping, English Homes, Period V - Vol 1 (Early Georgian, 1714-1760; (Country Life 1921.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1921)
'Country Life' in September, (1954)
Avray Tipping, H, 'English Homes' in Period 5 Early Georgian 1714-1760, , Vol. 1, ()
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: SP 08044 05830

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 09:58:26.