List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1155177

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BADMINTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityBadminton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8082 12/19

BADMINTON CP BADMINTON PARK Church of St. Michael and All Angels

5.5.61

GV I Parish Church (Anglican).1785 by Charles Evans of London, after Gibbs' St. Martin-in-the-Fields; chancel and apse added in 1875. Ashlar; hipped slate roof behind coped parapet, balustraded to the apse; moulded cornice. West tower and flanking single storey entrance wings to north and south; Nave; North and South aisles; Chancel and Apse. Plain west tower, breaking the pediment of the west elevation of the church: 3 stages, balustraded parapet, obelisk pinnacles surmounted by urns; 2nd stage has single round window and 3rd stage has round headed window, both with louvres. Flanking the tower are 2 single storey entrance ways, the public one to the south and the private one to the house at the north: niches on west elevation. Panelled doors under fanlight on west and south elevations of tower. The main body of the church is extremely plain: 5 bays; round headed windows with leaded glazing; keyed circular window to the chancel; 3 round headed windows to the apse. The glory of the church is its interior and particularly the monuments.Tunnel vaulted nave with ornamental panelled plasterwork. 4 bay arcades with columns on tall pedestal bases, capitals with attenuated acanthus, entablature over columns only. 4 saucer shaped domes to the aisles, springing from corbels bearing the entablature. Family gallery at west end: 4 Tuscan columns support a balustraded parapet which in turn supports twin Corinthian columns. Pulpit with sounding board and horse-box pews, all 1785. Organ case, choir stalls, reredos and communion rail by Temple Moore, 1908. Stained glass by Thomas Willement, 1845-7; blue borders with Beaufort heraldry. Brass chandeliers. Monuments. On the north wall of the chancel is Grinling Gibbons' monument to the First Duke of Beaufort, died 1700: marble; the Duke in garter robes and a wig reclines on a sarcophagus which rests on a plinth with a relief of St. George and the Dragon; above are two heavenly winged cherubs framed by drawn drapery; the subject is framed by twin Corinthian columns heavily embossed,supported by an inscribed plinth and supporting an entablature which has flaming urns and the ducal arms with a coronet on a coronet on top; 2 full length female figures which stood on the plinth are missing. East end of north aisle: monument to 2nd and 3rd Dukes by Rysbrack, 1754: marble; the Dukes are in Roman costume, one seated holding a female medallion with drapery cascading down over the black sarcophagus, the other standing, on an inscribed plinth and against a dark marble, flat obelisk background with 2 cherubs holding the ducal coronet and motto. East end of south aisle: monument to 4th Duke by Rysbrack, 1756: marble; the Duke is standing and dressed in a Roman toga; seated cherub to left holding a coronet; on inscribed plinth. South-east end of south aisle: 5th Duke, by Sir R. Westmacott; sarcophagus draped with ducal robes and coronet on cushion. North-east end of north aisle: 6th Duke, 1839 by J. Edwards after a design by T.H. Wyatt; classical white marble tablet with heraldry above. Elizabeth, Duchess, 1828, by H. Wood of Bristol: white marble tablet with draped chest on grey marble; niche background. Lord Edward Somerset, 1822, by H. Wood of Bristol; white marble with draped Greek chest above. Charlotte, Duchess, 1854, by J. Edwards; mourning marble females and medallion portrait. West end of south aisle: Mary, Duchess, 1714; very fine white marble chest tomb with grey marble top; corner baluster and much heraldry. Many other wall tablets and plaques to the Somerset/Beaufort family.

This church was constructed on a new site, 15 yards to the east of the medieval church.

Country Life, 14.IX.07;25.XI.39; 2.XII.39 Verey, D. Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970.

Listing NGR: ST8068482866

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 14 September, , Vol. 22, (1907), 378
'Country Life' in 25 November, , Vol. 86, (1939), 550
'Country Life' in 2 December, , Vol. 86, (1939), 574
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 80686 82866

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:51:58.