List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1155072

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityElsdon

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236255

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELSDON ELSDON NY 9393 19/16 Church of St. Cuthbert 21.10.53

GV 1

Parish church. C12, C14 and C16 or early C17. Restored 1837 and again in 1877 by F.R. Wilson. Random rubble and squared stone with Welsh slate roof.

Nave with bellcote, aisles, transepts with west aisles, chancel and vestry.

Nave: C19 south porch and flanking C19 Decorated windows. Low buttress in south-west corner probably part of cut-back walls of earlier wider aisles. West end has large C19 window in projecting walling which rises to support bellcote. Low flanking buttresses are remnants of former tower (cf interior).

Transepts: the aisles are later additions (see the C14 angle buttress with roll mouldings, now embedded in the north wall). C19 south window with jambs of original window to left.

Chancel: C14 priest's door and three C14 windows, each of different pattern. East end C19.

Gabled roofs with cross finials. Elaborate bellcote of c.1720 with 2 tiers of ball finials and stone spirelet.

Interior: In west wall a high blocked tower arch with hoodmould of heavy square section - probably C12 re-set as pointed arch. 4-bay nave arcades; C12 west responds. Elsewhere C14 arches with octagonal piers and moulded capitals; 2nd south pier has foliage carving in the capital; double-chamfered arches. Transept piers are square with chamfered edges, the stops carved with tracery or figures; double-chamfered arches dying into the imposts - the outer order dying much higher than the inner. Similar chancel arch. Transept arcades similar to nave. Very narrow aisles and transept aisles with quadrant tunnel vaults and very thick outer walls; probably a C16 or C17 rebuilding. Corbels for roof timbers of earlier aisles visible below vaults.

C14 sedilia in chancel. Trefoiled piscina in south transept. Medieval grave covers in chancel south window, 2 in south transept, above south door, south aisle west window, 4 in north transept. Roman tombstone in north aisle. False hammer-beam roofs by F.R. Wilson. Cartouche of 1741 to William Brown.

G.N. Taylor: The Story of Elsdon: Frank Graham: Newcastle. Hodgson J. : History of Northumberland: Newcastle.

Listing NGR: NY9364793281

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, G N, The Story of Elsdon
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in Hexhamshire Part II Hexham Whitley Chapel Allendale and St John Lee and the Parish of Chollerton the Chapelry of Kirkheaton the Parish of Throcrington, (1897)

National Grid Reference: NY 93647 93281

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 09:25:52.