List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1155023

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WokinghamUnitary AuthorityWargrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41363

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARGRAVE STATION ROAD SU 7877 (north side) 16/5 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 G.V. II* Parish Church. Originally C13 but was burnt down in 1914 reputedly by suffragettes with the exception of the west tower of 1635, the walls and north doorway. Rebuilt 1916 by W. Fellowes Prynne. Flint walls with stone dressings part rendered on north, brick tower, gabled tiled roof. 5 bay nave, chancel, north transept and organ chamber, south arcade and and aisle with chapel. Tower is 3 stages, brick plinth with stone capping, moulded stone strings, parapet, octagonal corner buttresses of chequer flint and brick with strings carried round and stone ball finials. A west doorway in a brick arched opening, at the south east corner a staircase to the ringing chamber. Windows with intersecting tracery, altered. The north door in the nave is Norman of 2 orders with chevroned shafts, caps, large roll inner moulding and scalloped outer moulding. On the north wall are remains of Norman arcading. The font is C15 made from chalk and restored early C20. Some floor slabs remain. V.C.H. Vol. III p.195. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.257.

Listing NGR: SU7827678469

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 257
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1906 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 195

National Grid Reference: SU 78276 78469

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 09:02:09.