List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST PETER'S GRANGE WITH GATEWAYS AND COURTYARD WALLS TO EAST AND WEST

List entry Number: 1154946

Location

ST PETER'S GRANGE WITH GATEWAYS AND COURTYARD WALLS TO EAST AND WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityUpton St. Leonards

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131868

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 81 SE UPTON ST LEONARDS PRINKNASH PARK

6/207 St. Peter's Grange with gateways and courtyard walls to east and 10.1.55 west (previously listed as Prinknash Park Abbey and Chapel)

I

Large country house, now monastic retreat. Mid-late C15; enlarged early C16; additions of early C17, late C18, c1870, c1880 and 1954. Late C19 restorations and additions by J. Coates-Carter and F.S. Waller for Thomas Dyer Edwardes. Coursed and squared limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Central range with long cross- wings to north and south; long south east wing; chapel at north east corner; 2 storey with attic; cellar under north wing. West front: central range with 2 roll-moulded parapet gables topped by finials; all fenestration leaded except for sashes and some later alterations. Central 2-storey early C17 porch with Tudor-arched doorway; 3-light pointed-arched mullioned casement over; crenellated parapet. Left of porch C18 round-arched sash with keyed moulded architrave; upper floor sash over. Right fenestration is pointed-arched mullioned casements; two 2-light to ground floor with two 3-light above; both gables have 3-light attic casement, all having hoodmoulds. Diagonal shafts with moulded caps to 2 ridge-mounted chimneys. C15 wing projects to right with upper floor off-centre canted oriel having trefoil-headed lights; projecting base of oriel pierced by 2-light ground floor casement; later 2-light square headed casement to right. Cl9 pierced and carved bargeboards to gable end of wing with 3-light ground floor casement and 2 tall C19 pointed-arched 2-light casements above; small area of close-studded timber framing in gable apex. C18 wing projects to left with cross-gabled roof; C19 ground floor canted bay window with hipped roof having pointed-arched lights with enriched spandrels; left projecting gable-mounted chimney with diagonal shaft and moulded cap. West gable end has Cl9 2 + 2-light upper floor pointed-arched mullioned casement; original attic 3- light; most fenestration in this wing altered from sashes in late C19. Attached C20 flat-roofed long west wing is not of special interest. Courtyard walls to west project from wings; mostly with roll-moulded coping, but with large semi-circular cut-outs and ball finials to south west corner; rectangular gate piers of c1900 with chamfered corners and enriched finials; iron gates with overthrow carrying central coat of arms. North side: 3 parapet gables, C18 to right, 2 early C16 to left. Large central Cl9 2-storey canted bay window by Waller with trefoil-lancet panelled crenellated parapet; moulded string course below with stiff-leaf enrichment at corners; pointed-arched mullioned casements to both floors. Bay flanked by Cl9 offset buttresses; further C19 buttress below gable to left with 4-light fenestration to left and 3-light to right to both floors; right. of bay C19 doorway and C18 sash over with moulded architraves; other fenestration to right is late Cl9 three- light mullioned casements replacing sashes; gable to right with paired diagonal chimneys. East front: central range with 2 roll- moulded parapet gables topped by finials, right gable projecting forward with scattered 2- and 3-light pointed-arched mullioned fenestration and hoodmoulds; upper floor octagonal oriel in angle with projecting north wing has single lancet to each face and pyramidal top. Late C19 canted dormer in south slope of roof. Left gable has three 2-light pointed-arched mullioned casements to left of 3-centred arched moulded doorway with hoodmould and shields in spandrels, plank door; two 3-light casements to upper floor; 3- light to attic. South wing projects well forward to left, is early C16, extended late C19; 3-light round-arched mullioned casements to early part; c19 Tudor-arched doorway with 4-panel door has stone relief portrait of Henry VIII over; addition of c1870 has off- centre cross-gable roof with parapet gabled roof dormer to left; canted stone oriel to east gable end of south wing. Projecting gabled north wing with C19 restored 2 + 2-light pointed-arched mullioned fenestration on south side; paired diagonal chimneys to gable end; wing extended to east with late C19 chapel having ridge- mounted central bellcote with shingles to spirelet; east octagonal apse with single cinquefoil lancet to each face in pointed hoods; lancet panelled parapet; gabled south transept; north transept added in 1954. Stone gateway to east courtyard with hipped roof. South side: built into bank with Cl9 latrine addition to gable end; fenestration mostly C19 alteration. Interior much altered in late Cl9 but Tudor-arched doorways retained in C16 part. Main staircase and panelling of 1898 by Coates-Carter; upper floor window on staircase has C17 graffito portrait of Cavalier. Oriel in upper floor room of south west wing has late C15 fan vaulting with pendants. In main hall a ceiling boss of c1502 and C16 stone flags to floor. Chapel apse by Coates- Carter has stained glass and decoration by Hardman; reredos contains C15 figure of Christ; chapel nave has C16 stained glass in north windows representing the Nine Choirs of Angels. Roof structure is mostly late C18 and C19. Originally a hunting lodge of c1300 for Abbot of Gloucester; most of core of present building is Abbot Parker's enlargement of c1514. House known to have been occupied in 1643 by Cavalier forces. Major alterations for Thomas Dyer Edwardes in late C19. Given to Benedictines of Caldey in 1928. Set on hillside under Cranham beech woods commanding view over city of Gloucester. Spring building in park (q.v.). (J. & H.S. Storer, Delineations of Gloucestershire, 1825-7; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; and ed. D. Verey, Diary of a Cotswold Parson, 1978).

Listing NGR: SO8783713239

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: Diary of a Cotswold Parson - Date: 1978
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Storer, H S - Title: Delineations of Gloucestershire - Date: 1825-1827
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 87838 13217, SO 87865 13218

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 03:26:20.