List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1154943

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityDumbleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135176

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 93 SE DUMBLETON GREAT WASHBOURNE VILLAGE

5/80 Church of St Mary

4.7.60

GV I

Small Anglican church. Early C12, partly rebuilt by John Cartwright in 1642 as indicated by an inscription on the exterior of the east gable end, extended C19. Nave: limestone rubble; chancel part rubble, part coursed squared and dressed limestone where rebuilt; rendered bell turret; vestry incised rendered with red tile roof; stone slate roof. Plan: nave with vestry at right angles; chancel; bell turret runs east from the east end of the nave. Nave south wall: trefoil-headed lancet to right; central plank door with C12 lintel decorated with a Maltese cross in relief; chip-carved rosettes with pellet decoration below the cross. Nave north wall with buttress with offsets at the north east corner; segmental-headed 3-light window with hollow-moulded mullions and a restored head and hood to the right. C19 vestry with 2-light trefoil-headed north window. The west end of the nave appears to have been rebuilt, when the tall Perpendicular west window was inserted. Chancel south wall: trefoil-headed lancet to the rubble-built part; flat-chamfered plinth to the rebuilt part to the right; C18 two-light window with stilted-headed lights casement and quirked mouldings to the mullions, leaded panes with leaf-shaped-panes at the top. Segmental-headed 3-light east window with mullions with quirked mouldings and trefoil-headed tracery and stopped hood. Rectangular inscription panel with inscription 'JAMES CARTWRIGHT / DID NEWLY : BUILD : VP / THIS CHANCELL / ANO DOMI : 1642' above. Single-light C18 window similar to that lighting the south wall on the north. Traces of white limewash on the chancel. Simple squat gabled bell turret with small trefoil-headed belfry windows with wooden surrounds and axial weathervane. Stepped gable-end coping and upright cross finials at the gable end of the nave and chancel. Church interior: limewashed. Nave 3 bays. Chancel 2 bays. Possibly late C16-early C17 collar and tie-beam roof with jewelled stops to tie-beam and run-out stops to the collar. Simple collar beam trusses to the chancel: 2 massive tie beams with triangular stops supporting the belfry. Flagged flooring. Small C12 chancel arch with imposts; small trefoil-headed squint to the right; larger squint to the left. Three late C19-early C20 pews at rear otherwise loose seating. C18 panelled pulpit set within a raised rectangular enclosure. C19 harmonium in the south east corner. Perpendicular octagonal font at the centre of the chancel. Simple C19 communion rails with stick balusters. Small late C18-early C19 chest and C18 chair with floral inlay also. Simple C20 altar table. Traces of C12 and later wall paintings on all 4 walls of the nave and in the splay of the C12 window. The painting includes a consecration cross within a double circle painted in red. Black and white marble monument to Rev. Evan Clerk, died 1837, on the south wall of the nave. Nave north wall: slatestone monument to Esther Martin, died 1801 with a triangular pediment with foliate decoration at the bottom and pediment with green and red painted decoration. White and black marble monument to Robert Prance J.P., died 1869, on the east wall. Small ledger with segmental ends in front of the chancel arch to Elizabeth West died 1751. Various C18 ledgers concealed by carpet in nave. George IV hatchment over the chancel arch. (David Verey: The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980.

Listing NGR: SO9867234448

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)

National Grid Reference: SO 98676 34446

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 01:02:07.