List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1154923

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityToddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TODDINGTON CHURCH LANE SP 03 SW (north side) 3/161 Church of St Andrew (formerly listed as Church of 4.7.60 St Leonard) GV I Parish church. 1873-'9 by G.E. Street's for Lord Sudeley. Ashlar walls, stone slate roof. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel, north and south chapels, vestry. Church in Street's early Decorated style, with Geometric tracery, heavy moulded plinth throughout, with string course above at sill level to chapels and chancel. South front: square-set buttresses on left, 2-light window, hoodmould, buttress; projecting single-storey porch, clasping corner buttresses, arched opening, parapet gable with cross-gablets at foot and apex, cross on apex: 2-light window in returns. To right two 3-light windows, hoodmoulds, buttress between, corbelled eaves, parapet gable west end. Tower projects to right, square-set corner buttresses, sloping and gabled offsets. South side double, boarded door up one stone step, nook shafts, dogtooth moulding to arch, hoodmould, string course: tall 2-light window, hoodmould, string course, lancets behind 3 linked arches with hoodmoulds, sloping offset, 2-light window with wooden louvres, corbelled eaves, broach spire, crocketed finials to broaches, 3 levels of lucarnes to cardinal faces, iron weathervane. Left return has semi-octagonal projection at rear, boarded door in slight projection adjoining. To right of tower south chapel, 3- light window with hoodmould, lancet, square-set corner buttresses, corbelled eaves, parapet gable with cross on apex. Chancel set back on right, 3-light window, head stops to hoodmould, square-set buttresses to corner with gabled offsets, eaves and gable as chapel. East end: top of tower as south. Chapel, two 2-light windows, with hoodmoulds, string course across gable, 3-light window in moulded surround. Chancel corner buttresses as south: 5-light window with 2 king mullions, hoodmould; string course and window over as chapel. Vestry slightly set back on right, 3-light window with hoodmould, cross on apex parapet gable. North side, boarded door with arched head, up 3 stone steps, string steps up to form hoodmould: plain, projecting eaves. Chapel sets forward to right, eaves as nave. North face double gable, with square-set corner and centre gabled buttresses. Two 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, blind quatrefoils over each side, large, scaley gargoyle in centre. String course across both gables, each with cinquefoil window over, cross on apex of parapet gables. Set back on right to rear, circular turret in angle with conical roof and lucarne. Three 3-light windows alternating with buttresses to right; boarded door up one stone step to right, triangular window over, with hoodmould: square-set corner buttresses. Eaves and gable as south. Interior: porch, boarded door to rear, 3 marble nook shafts each side, dogtooth moulding and cusping to arch over, hoodmould; arch- braced collar trusses. Interior church ashlar walls: concrete floor except to chancel, marble; Purbeck marble nook shafts to windows. Nave: walls in bays with Purbeck marble shafts carrying arches in side walls: moulded string course over. Screen to west, 7-bay blind arcade, clustered columns, trefoil arches, hoodmoulds, trefoils to spandrels; 3 tall arches over, cutting off western bay with barrel vault. Moulded arches with moulded capitals and bases to clustered columns below, to north chapel, tower and chancel. Hammer-beam trusses to nave roof, arched braces to purlins, upper braces cusped. Chancel: arches to chapels as nave: Purbeck marble vaulting shafts, quadripartite vaulting in 3 bays, centre one narrow. Arcaded seating around east end, 5 bays to sides, 7 to end, marble shafts, trefoil heads, hoodmoulds, leaf diapering to back of all but corner seats and over arches on east wall; aumbry to south. Purbeck marble gradines to communion table, set forward of east wall. Boarded doors under trefoil heads to vestry and south chapel: 6-bay open wooden screen behind choir stalls. Marble vaulting shafts to south chapel, one square and one narrow bay: central column. North chapel 2-bay, marble vaulting shafts, 5-part vaults (no central column). Stone bench seat to wall, 5 cinquefoiled recesses in lower part, carved spandrels over on east wall. String course: blind windows to east: three C18 marble wall monuments. In centre large altar tomb by Lough: up 2 stone steps, plinth, blind arcading to sides, corner angels and paired figures in centre of long sides; brass strip for inscription, effigies of C. Hanbury-Tracy, first Baron Sudeley (builder of Toddington Manor, q.v.) and his wife. Effigies 1865, chest below 1872. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit, blind arcading to sides, clustered column below: carved circular font on clustered column, using Derbyshire Spar: stone gadrooned wine-glass font by north chapel. East window by Hardman, north-west in nave by Clayton and Bell (1913). Various loose effigies and parts of C17 building or monument in north chapel, also carved stops for hoodmoulds. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970; Rev P.L.C. Richards, St Andrews Church, Toddington, 1981)

Listing NGR: SP0350633088

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richards, P L C , St Andrew's Church Toddington, (1981)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 03501 33074

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:39:03.