List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1154480

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityDowdeswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWDESWELL LOWER DOWDESWELL SP 01 NW 5/27 Church of Saint Michael and All Angels 26.1.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C16, C17 and C19. Cruciform church, central tower, north and south transepts, nave with vestry on north towards west end, chancel with organ chamber on south. Nave; coursed squared and dressed limestone, partly rebuilt in ashlar at west end. Chancel; ashlar at east end and on south, otherwise coursed squared and dressed limestone. South transept, organ chamber and vestry, tower and spire; ashlar. North transept, coursed squared and dressed limestone. Purple tile roof. Nave with south porch, vestry on north side towards west end, crossing with north and south transepts, chancel with organ chamber on south. Nave with flat-chamfered plinth and buttresses at west end. Three light C19 window with stilted-headed lights and central circular light with semi-circles either side at top. Buttressed C19 vestry with C19 plank door within flat-chamfered, basket-headed surround. Two-light stone-mullioned window left with pointed trefoil-headed lights, two similar windows in left-hand wall. Restored C14 style 2-light window with tracery to nave on left. C16 north transept; flat-chamfered plinth. C16 three-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows with carved spandrels in right-hand wall. Cinquefoil heads to each light, stopped hood. Similar C16 window to gable end in almost round-headed surround with tracery and stopped hood. Similar C16 north window in round- headed surround with tracery and stopped hood. East wall; C19 door with fillets up 4 stone steps. C19 hollow-moulded stone- mullioned window with carved spandrels and stopped hood. C19 single light window on south side with cinquefoil head and stopped hood. C19 organ chamber left with C19 plank door with coverstrips within deeply moulded 4-centred arched surround. Stopped hood. Fragments of reused stonework in form of trefoil-headed moulding below doorway. Tall 2-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window in south wall with cinquefoil-headed lights and stopped hoods. Small C12 tympanum with motif representing Zechariah's golden seven-branched candlestick above window. Stopped hood with dogtooth decoration. South transept, built c1630; three-light mid C18 stone-mullioned window to gable end with 4-centred arched head and stone panelling at top in place of tracery and stopped hood. Sundial with a metal gnomon above, Roman numerals around edge and letters I and A at top. Monument to Robert Rogers, died 1777, left of window. Limestone with draped urn and roundels at top. C20, lantern style lamp immediately left. Two-light stone-mullioned, hollow-chamfered mid C18 window in left-hand wall with carved spandrels and stopped hood. Broach spire, built 1577 with 2-light round-headed stone-mullioned belfry windows with small 'eye-brow'- shaped lights at top above stone louvres. String course at level of roof ridges. Spire with four small gabled lucarnes. Decorated pointed finial at top and weather vane. South wall of nave 2-light C14 window with trefoil-headed lights and vesica. C16 south porch with 4-centred arched entrance, decorated spandrels on both sides of arch. Ventilation slit above. C20 cast iron gate. Flagged floor within porch, stone bench seats along side walls. Traces of stoop on right-hand wall near entrance to nave. Pointed C19 door with cover strips with pointed hollow-chamfered surround. Biblical quotation on stone scroll over door. Interior: Mid C14 tall segmental-pointed double-chamfered archways to crossing from nave, transepts and chancel. C19 gallery at west end of nave, another in north transept, the latter entered from an external door. Five-light C19 stone-mullioned window with 'Tudor'-arched heads to each light and carved spandrels in wall between organ chamber and south transept. Chancel stepped up high over vault. Segmental-headed niche right of altar and remains of blocked priest's doorway. C15 unplastered barrel roof to chancel with moulded spine beam, purlins and wallplate. C19 seven-facetted trusses to nave and transepts. Tierceron vaulted crossing with circular bell rope opening at centre. Flagstone floor throughout, incorporating ledgers. Fittings; Perpendicular octagonal font with quatrefoils at west end of nave. C19 wooden pulpit at south- east corner of crossing. C19 wooden lectern and desk. Pews in nave, transepts and choir c1840. Two C17 flat-backed ornately carved C17 chairs either side of altar. C20 brass communion rail. East window in form of triplet with commandments, creed and Lord's prayer. C17 Dutch chandelier lighting chancel. Monuments; small brass plaque to John Crowther, former parson, died 1623 set in ledger right of altar. Brass of priest in processional robes of c1520 set within ledger to William Rogers at centre of chancel below sanctuary, two small brass roundels of similar date lower left and right. Chancel north wall; C19 monument to Rev. Charles Corwell of Ablington Manor House, former rector, died 1854. Fine monument to William Rogers, died 1734, left; marble with gadrooned base, portrait bust, Composite columns, broken segmental pediment with cherubs and swags of flowers supporting coat of arms, by Christopher Horsnaile the elder. South wall; C17 monument probably to William Rogers. Limestone with slate stone inscription plaque, heraldic shield at top within broken segmental pediment. West wall of south transept (from left to right): monument to Edward Rich of Upper Dowdeswell (q.v. The Manor House); painted stone Baroque tablet highlighted in gold with barley-twist columns with Corinthian capitals and broken segmental pediment with heraldic shield at top. Small oval plaque to Rev. Edward Rich, died 1895, set in apron. Monument to Bailey Rich, eldest son of Lionel Rich of Upper Dowdeswell, died 1728; large marble monument with heraldic shield at top. East wall; classical marble tablet to William Welch of Hawford in Worcester, died 1833. South wall; monument to Major-General George Bridges, died 1896, with fluted Corinthian pilasters, pediment and heraldic shield. Monument to right of the latter to William Rogers, died 1663 and Elizabeth Rogers, died 1670, of Sandiwell; painted stone with two draped figures with laurel leaf crowns right and left, shrouded body within segmental-pediment, heraldic shield at top flanked by 2 skulls, apron with angel's head and swag below. North transept, west wall, monument to Edward Rogers, died 1810, white on grey marble monument with draped urn, various other C19 monuments mostly to members of the Rogers family. Inscription incised into windowsill dated 1577 with inscription beginning 'THIS SPIER WAS BUILT BY WILLIAM ROGERS...' (and thereafter further names of benefactors in primitive script). Hanoverian Royal arms over chancel arch. Three other hatchments within church one of 1736 with the arms of Lionel Rich, one Rogers and Coxwell Rogers. Stained glass in east window by J. Hartley, Wear Glass Works, c1849. C19 stained glass in east window by Nora Yoxall and Elsie Whitford of Blockley 1959. C12 tympanum recorded as having been dug up from the site in a C19 guide to the church. (David Verey, The Buildings of England Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP0012219916

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SP 00120 19917

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:20:37.