List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANWAY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1154381

Location

STANWAY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityStanway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWAY STANWAY VILLAGE SP 0632-0732 13/122 Stanway House (formerly listed as part of 4.7.60 Stanway House and Gatehouse)

GV I

Large country house. Late C16, first half Cl7, for Tracy family; altered early and later C18, 1859 altered and enlarged by W. Burn, for Earl of Wemyss, altered 1913 by Detmar Blow for later Earl of Wemyss, further alterations 1949 (datestone). Ashlar or coursed stone approaching ashlar, stone slate roof. Large, irregular 'U' plan, 7-window garden front, 2 storeys; Great Hall and 2 rooms to entrance courtyard, 2 1/2 storeys, single-storey 4-window kitchen range beyond linking with archway to 2 1/2-storey return range at end. Entrance front, to courtyard: wall about 2m high with boarded door on right links to gatehouse (q.v.). Plinth, moulded top. On right, large canted bay to Great Hall, 4-light mullion and transom, 2 king mullions, 4 transoms, tinted leaded lights, plain parapet with small pinnacles. To left, 8-panel door, 'L' hinges, up 5 stone steps, flanked fluted Doric pilasters, frieze and pediment over. To left, 3 small openings in plinth: two 3-light C19 mullion and transom windows, buttress with canted coursing, single- light in part of blocked 3-light window; evidence of possible later blocked doorway in part of blocked window. Two 3-light mullion windows with similar buttress between: courtyard wall projects on left (q.v.). Moulded string from doorway acts as hoodmould. Above, to left of bay, three 3-light mullion and transom windows to Great Hall, each with 2 transoms: six 3-light mullion and transom, at least 3 have had sill lowered. Moulded string course from bay acts as hoodmould. Above 4 gables, each with 3-light mullion window, hoodmould, parapet gable and floral finial; plain parapets between, hipped dormers behind with 2-light casements and moulded eaves. Gable chimneys with diamond-set flues and moulded caps to left. To left, lower kitchen range: slightly-projecting gable, plinth, 6-light mullion and transom window, 2 king mullions, centre lights carried up a further stage: hoodmould steps up over window, extends each side as string. Slit in gable over, parapet gable, cross gablet apex. To left plinth, 3-light mullion and transom window rising into parapet gable: two 3-light mullioned windows, louvred dormers over. To left, carriage archway rising into gable, 4-centred arch, moulded arris, buttresses each side. Gable of brewhouse wing, plinth, three 2-light mullion windows above one another, string course at first floor level: parapet gable. Right return garden front: plinth, all windows ovolo-moulded mullion and transom. Rectangular bay each end, 6-light window, 2 king mullions and 2 transoms; two 4-light similar windows, but with one king mullion, either side of slightly projecting centre. Largely-glazed double doors, glazed light over, up one stone step from half landing, 5 stone steps up each side; moulded door surround, framed attached Corinthian columns, segmental pediment with swags and coat of arms. Continuous string course as hoodmould. First floor 6-light window with 2 king mullions to bays, two 4-light windows with king mullion either side of projecting centre; 2-light window in centre, moulded surround for earlier, wider window, framed ornate scroll consoles: large keystone. Continuous string course acts as hoodmould: openwork strapwork pediments to bays and centre, openwork cresting to parapet between. Five ashlar chimneys behind, moulded caps; wide lead flat in front of pitched roof. Interior: cross passage to Hall, 6-panel door on left, panels in 2 rows, double ovolo door surround, 4-centred arch, strapwork spandrels. Great Hall: fluted Roman Doric screen to cross passage, frieze over, and plain wall cutting off gallery: 7 hatchments. Ceiling divided into 10 by moulded beams, counterchanged moulded joists between; joists not counterchanged over gallery. Ground floor levels in wing fronting garden step up twice, following lie of land: end windows originally with blind bottom lights, now opened. All stairs with solid oak treads, main stair later given separate treads: dado panelling. Drawing room, fielded panelling, dado rail, Corinthian pilasters to ceilings, moulded cornice: marble fireplace surround with acanthus dentils; panelled shutters; mid C19 moulded plaster ceiling with pendants. Secondary stairs beyond: Tudor arch to doorway to end section of wing, sunk spandrels, double ovolo moulding. Library shelving c1770, broken pediment, dado rail, moulded Gothick surround to fireplace, moulded plaster cornice. End room panelled shutters, 6-panel door, dado rail, moulded plaster cornice. Above is garden wing, 6-panel doors, centre panels small; dado rails, plain stone fireplace surround in end room on right; adjoining room said to have been papered by William Morris in person. Stairs up to leads on roof: tie beam trusses to wing fronting garden, with angle struts to collar, one pair trapped purlins, no ridge member: rafters tenoned to further purlin just above wallplate level. One tie beam reused moulded timber. Property of Tewkesbury Abbey until Reformation. Front to courtyard oldest part of house: garden wing first part C17. Cross passage screen probably early C18; centre doorway garden front, window to left and above altered to sashes, reconverted by mid C19: final conversion of window over door mid C20. Dating of parts of house in V.C.H. seems doubtful. (C. Hussey in Country Life, 1964; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978; Lord Neidpath, Stanway House, 1984)

Listing NGR: SP0611732409

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Neidpath, Lord - Title: Stanway House - Date: 1984 - Type:
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Date: 1964 - Journal Title: Country Life
  4. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 16 Gloucestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 06128 32394

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:04:46.