List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1153880

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityNotgrove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTGROVE - SP 11 NW 6/67 Church of St. Bartholomew 26.1.61 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C14 and Decorated. Restored by J.E.K. Cutts in 1873, when the north aisle and south wall of the chancel were rebuilt externally. Mostly coursed squared and dressed limestone, south side of nave ashlar, stone slate and concrete tile roofing. Plan; nave with north aisle and nqrth transept, south porch. West tower and chancel with vestry abutting north transept. Gabled south porch (rebuilt); double plank doors with decorative strap hinges within pointed arch of 2 orders, the inner tapering inwards at shoulder height. Scroll-moulded hood with stops. Fragments of carved stonework including C12 voussoir with chevron moulding reset in west wall within east wall contains a deep ogee-headed recess. C14 stone coffin below. Tudor doorway to nave with basket-headed surround, carved spandrels and stopped hood. Two rectangular windows with Perpendicular style tracery and stopped hoods right of porch. Single similar window left of porch with original hood with stops in the form of a man and a woman's head. All three windows restored C19. Chancel north wall; one 2- light and one 3-light stone-mullioned casement with ogee-curved trefoil heads with carved spandrels, both C19. East end; string at eaves level. C15 ogee-arched niche containing possibly Saxon effigy of Christ crucified. C19 vestry on north side of chancel with 2-light stone-mullioned window in east facing wall. C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges in gable. C14 north transept with pointed 2-light window with cinquefoil headed lights and hood with ballflower ornament. North aisle lit by two 2-light stone- mullioned casements within deep casement moulded surrounds. Low parapet with string below. Traces of pilaster buttressing at west end of nave. Decorated, 3 stage tower with strings between stages and ribbed stone spire. Single light belfry windows with ogee- curved trefoil heads and stone louvres. Similar smaller light below belfry window and to second stage on north side. Sundial with metal gnomon below belfry window on south side. Roof; stepped coping to gable ends of chancel, nave and south porch. Sanctus bellcote on east gable end of nave. Interior; scraped. C12, three-bay arcade with piers with square scalloped capitals. Pointed chancel arch dating from restoration of church in 1873. Pointed arch of similar date containing organ on north side of chancel. C19 wagon roof to nave with finely carved winged angels decorating wall plate, decorative bosses and spine beam. Chancel; C19 scissor-braced trusses with collar. C19 roof trusses to north transept. Flooring; plain and encaustic tiling in sanctuary. Stone flags and tiling forming integral pattern within chancel. Nave floor, flagstones and ledger slabs. C14 defaced stone reredos at east end of chancel (now concealed by tapestry designed by Colin Anderson, depicting reredos, started 1936, completed 1954). The reredos comprised a canopied niche above the altar flanked by wide ogee arched recesses. Some crimson and green paint survives. Head corbel lower left. Doorless aumbry below left-hand recess. Image niche with ogee-arched surround in north wall of chancel. Back of niche painted crimson, margin painted with chevron decoration. Ovolo-moulded string interrupted by niche and window. Furniture and fittings; C12 tub-shaped font with double cable moulding below rim, on stepped octagonal and square base adjacent to south door. Pews on south side of nave constructed early C17. Inscription on front pew 'Richard Dlaydell, Thomas Daen, Church Wardens 1619', brattishing and intertwined flower decoration on early C17 pews (possibly reused). Pews on north side of nave similar design but mid C20 with rose and thistle decoration. Rectangular carved oak pulpit. C19 carved wooden rood screen. Fine C17 carved oak chair within sanctuary with sunflower motif. Monuments; three limestone effigies probably of members of the Whittington family within chancel comprising an effigy of a lady with ruff and headress, dated 1630, in arcaded panels on tomb below effigy, tomb lies within a round-headed niche within north wall of sanctuary. Two effigies of men, c1585, one above the other the lower dressed in long robes being enclosed within an open-sided tomb flanked by fluted columns, the upper dressed in armour. Large limestone overmantel with three heraldic shields over. Two C14 stone effigies of priests within north transept (formerly outside church). Three stone ledgers in nave aisle, two to members of the Michell family dating from C17, one C18. Stained glass; south windows of chancel and one window in south wall of nave contain C19 stained glass by Clayton and Bell. Stained glass inset of Virgin and Child of c1300 in vestry window. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP1093019940

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Other
Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: SP 10930 19937

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:55:32.