List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ICOMB PLACE

List entry Number: 1153494

Location

ICOMB PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityIcomb

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ICOMB ICOMB VILLAGE SP 22 SW 2/204 Icomb Place 25.8.60 GV I Manor house. Rebuilt c1420, probably by Sir John Blaket (q.v. monument in the Church of St Mary, Icomb) on the site of an earlier moated manor house, altered mid-late C17, partially demolished early-mid C20. The former plan comprised ranges of buildings set around two courtyards with the hall at the centre and the northern (entrance) range set skew to the remainder of the plan. Most of the range forming the southern side of this plan, was demolished early-mid C20. C20 flat-roofed garaging added to the west range not of special interest. Coursed squared and dressed limestone of two colours, dressed stone quoins. Some areas of walling degenerate into a rubble-built construction. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Entrance front; 2 storeys with 2-storey porch breaking forwards slightly off-centre left flanked by two original wall chimneys which project out at first floor level. Irregular fenestration to a 5-bay front. Fenestration comprises three 2-light windows with hollow chamfers, pointed heads, carved spandrels and stopped hoods, two 3-light stilted-headed hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casements with carved spandrels and stopped hoods. Two similar but 4-light windows to the ground and first floors of the right gable end. Two single-light and one 2-light stone-mullioned casement with rectangular surrounds also lighting the entrance front. C20 painted double doors within a moulded Tudor-arched surround to porch. Forward facing buttresses either side of the doorway. Fine 4-light window within a rectangular surround with ogee-curved heads with a pair of oval openings above each and a stopped hood. Pierced Tudor-arched rere-arch to interior splay. Battlemented parapet. East range; 2 1/2 storeys. Five Cotswold dormers with C20 wooden casements timber lintels and horizontal glazing bars. Irregular fenestration to the ground and first floors. Three restored cross windows to the first floor, one within a moulded architrave. Single light, 2 and 3-light stone- mullioned casements, some probably mid C17 with hollow chamfers, some C19. Two C19 stone-mullioned canted bays to the ground floor. South front with wing with half-hipped extension projects forwards to the right. Fenestration to gable end and left-hand return comprises C20 single light and 2-light casements. C19 porch with 'Tudor'-arched entrance with foliate spandrels to the left. Tall C15 stone-mullioned cross window to hall to the left. The lower lights of this window have pointed heads while the upper, taller lights have ogee-curved heads with a pair of oval openings above and stopped hoods. l½ storey range (probably late C18-C19) rebuilt parallel with the hall, breaks forwards to the left. Three 2-light half dormers to the upper floor. Fenestration comprises C20 two-light casements. Plain heraldic shield within surround decorated with blind tracery (possibly reused) in the right gable end. Blocked opening above. West front now largely obscured by garage and fencing. Exterior viewed from the courtyard; north side of great hall lit by 2 tall C15 cross-mullioned windows lighting the south wall (previously described). Plank door within a moulded 4-centred arched surround with casement mouldings. Quatrefoil in the spandrels work plain heraldic shields at the centre of each. Similar archway (now obscured by the C19 porch) on the south side of the former screens passage. The solar (west) wing to the right of the great hall is of 2 storeys with a 6-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with stilted heads to each light. Central king mullion and a stopped hood to the ground floor. Five-light stone-mullioned window with ogee-curved cinquefoil heads with tracery and stopped hood above. Two-storey stone-mullioned bay window to the right in the angle between the west range and the entrance front. Ogee-curved stone-mullioned windows with tracery with small trefoils above to the ground floor. Ogee-curved cinquefoil-headed lights and tracery to the upper floor windows. Stopped hood with large stops in the form of human heads over the upper floor window. String between floors. Parapet with beast's head gargoyle. This window may once have formed an access between the west range and the north (entrance) range. The east range has a mid C20, C17 style panelled gallery, lit by a 3-light casement. Single panel with carved dragon below. Gable-end, axial and lateral stacks with moulded cappings. Stepped coping and roll- cross saddles to the entrance front. Interior; great hall open to rafters, 5 bays with original arch- braced collar-beam roof trusses, triple purlins and three tiers of curved wind bracing. Base of some form of lantern visible half- way along the ridge in west end. Former partition dividing the hall from the screens passage at the opposite end now removed. Two blocked Tudor-arched doorways in the east wall, which would formerly have given access to the kitchen and buttery. Late C16- early C17 fireplace flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters and panelled segmental-headed pediment. Moulded console bracket at the centre of the entablature in the south wall. Mid C20, C17 style panelled gallery with four panels with carved dragons. The solar wing has a wagon ceiling and a fireplace with moulded rectangular surround. C17 carved oak cupboard door with nulling at the top in an upstairs room. Wall painting cl.5m square depicting a sailing ship in full sail in red/brown paint in an attic bedroom on the west range. Roll-moulded tie beams in north (entrance) range. Numerous flat- chamfered Tudor-arched doorways and fireplaces throughout. From the Blakets the house passed successively through the female line into the hands of the Baskerville and Milbourne families. During the C16 it belonged to the Whitney family. In 1712 it belonged to Henry Cope son of Thomas and Elizabeth Whitney (q.v. monument in the south transept). (Rev. David Royce, Icomb; Its History, Topography and Architectural Antiquities, Read August 1869, Reports Association, Worcester Architectural Society. Icomb Place Trans B.G.A.S. (1882-3). Robert Cooke; West Country Houses, 1957)



Listing NGR: SP2109022430

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Icomb Place, (1882-3)
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Royce, D, Icomb Its History Topography and Architectural Antiquities, (1869)

National Grid Reference: SP 21090 22430

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:19:44.