List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1152539

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, MIDDLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130853

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARRINGTON MIDDLE ROAD, SP 2012-2112 Little Barrington Village 11/120 Church of St Peter 26.1.61 GV I Anglican parish church. Late C12, C14 and C15. Coursed squared and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof. Nave with projecting south porch, and north aisle, tower at the west end of the north aisle, chancel at the east end of the nave. Nave largely rebuilt C14; diagonal buttresses, one 2-light and one 3-light rectangular stone-mullioned window, both with ogee and casement mouldings and stopped hoods. Scroll-ended stops over the left-hand window, the right-hand stop contains the initials 'P.M'. C20 double plank doors within a late C12 round-headed archway (probably restored). The inner arch is supported by keeled jamb shafts with stiff leaf capitals with finely carved decoration. The outer arches are deeply cut with chevron and lozenge ornament. Hoodmould with dogtooth decoration broken at the centre by a small monstrous head. Blocked 4-centred arched doorway with roll and casement-moulded surround and stopped hood in the west gable end. Two-light pointed window above with moulded central mullion and transom, casement moulded surround and stopped hood. The windows in the south and west walls of the nave are probably C15 in date. C14 chancel (restored C19); diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light pointed windows with cinquefoil-headed lights on the north side. Two-light east window with ogee and casements mouldings and a quatrefoil at the top. Two 2-light stone-mullioned windows on the north side, one with a stopped hood (now blocked), one with ogee-curved trefoil heads to each light and carved spandrels. Pointed-arched priest's doorway (now blocked) with a roll-moulded surround and a stopped hood. East window and windows in the north wall probably C15. North aisle; two 2-light stone-mullioned casements. The left-hand casement has a hollow-chamfered mullion, trefoil-headed lights, spandrels carved out to form small lights and stopped hood. The right-hand window has cinquefoil-headed lights, ogee and casement mouldings and a stopped hood with scroll stops. Both windows probably C15. Former tympanum to north doorway to right of the latter. The tympanum depicts Christ in Majesty flanked by two winged angels, in bold relief. Three-stage C14 tower with simple flat-chamfered single lights in the side walls. Two-light belfry windows with trefoil heads, stone-slate louvres and stopped hoods. Battlemented parapet. Early C18 gabled south porch with C19 studded plank door with decorative strap hinges within a flat- chamfered pointed surround with stopped hood. Most of the east wall comprises an early C18 monument in memory of the Tayler family. The monument comprises a rectangular inscription plaque with a single carved head at the top, flanked by the full length figures of two men and two women. Two small inscription plaques with moulded margins but with no legible inscription either side of the figures. Roof; stepped coping at the gable ends of the nave, chancel and porch. C14 sanctus bellcote at the east end of the nave. Upright finial at the west end with crenellated parapet and a pyramidal capping. Interior; nave arcade of two round arches on cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals. The arches are double-chamfered with ogee-curved stops. Pointed chancel arch rising from projecting moulded imposts, themselves supported by tall moulded stone brackets. Flat-chamfered pointed archway from the west end of the north aisle to the tower. Early wagon roofs to nave and chancel. C19 roof with collar with king post to the south aisle. Flag floor. Squint left of the chancel arch with central flat-chamfered stone mullion possibly inserted at a later date. Piscina rebated for an outer door in the south wall of the chancel. Brattishing (possibly reused) incorporated in the sill of the left-hand window in the nave south wall. Early carved stone head (possibly once a corbel) set in the splay of the right-hand window. Two niches (one double, one single) at the east end of the north aisle. Traces of red paint on the latter niche. Painted C17 scrolled text on the north wall of the north aisle. Two decalogue boards either side of the chancel east window. Fixtures and fittings; C15 octagonal limestone font at the west end of the north aisle. C19-early C20 pews and pulpit. Early Cl8 communion table with turned legs. Monuments; chancel south wall; grey and white marble monument to Giles Greenway, died 1815 and Jane Greenway, died 1819 (q.v. Barrington Grove) by Wood of Gloucester. Monument to the John Grayhurst, died 1730 and Sarah his wife, died 1739; marble with a round-headed inscription plaque with moulded imposts and moulded keystone flanked by engaged columns with Corinthian capitals, high- lighted in gold leaf, supporting a swan-necked pediment. White on black marble monument to Charles Greenway of Barrington Grove and of Upton Priory, died 1859 and of Charlotte his wife, died 1873, by Lewis of Cheltemnham. C19 stained glass in the chancel. Some C14 stained glass in the east window of the north aisle. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds; and V.C.H., Vol VI p 26)



Listing NGR: SP2089012758

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1965 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 26

National Grid Reference: SP 20891 12760

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 01:02:27.