List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NETHER LYPIATT MANOR INCLUDING FORECOURT WALLS,GATEWAYS AND CLAIRVOYEE

List entry Number: 1152395

Location

NETHER LYPIATT MANOR INCLUDING FORECOURT WALLS,GATEWAYS AND CLAIRVOYEE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityBrimscombe and Thrupp

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 133160

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 80 SE THRUPP NETHER LYPIATT

3/366 Nether Lypiatt Manor including forecourt walls, gateways and clairvoyée 21.10.55

GV I

Country house with forecourt walls and gate screen. 1710-1717 for Judge Charles Cox, restored c1920 by P. Morley Horder for C.W. Woodall. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Wrought iron gates. Compact square plan; 2-storey with cellar and attic. Five-window elevations, all formerly with stone cross- windows, these surviving on centre windows of south front and to whole of north elevation. Otherwise all later C18 18-pane sashes with moulded architraves, 2-light mullioned cellar casements also with moulded architraves. Central doorways on west, and formerly on east side also, the latter pedimented but now with small-pane fixed light. West doorway has later C18 segmental pedimented porch on fluted pedestal-mounted Ionic columns, slightly splayed stone steps having low side walls terminated by similar pedestals. Alternating rusticated quoins. Deep moulded coved eaves with projections carried up from upper floor windows. Boldly sprocketed hipped roof with 2 hipped dormers to each side, each with leaded casements. Taller central and 2 eaves-mounted chimneys, the latter on north and south sides, all panelled with moulded caps, eaves-mounted chimneys having round arched panel to side faces. Two original single-storey hipped roofed wings project forward from south house front, these being attached at corners and not internally accessible from house. Similar wing to balance west front added in 1931. Garden walls run forward forming inner courtyard to west, enclosed by clairvoyée with central gateway. Main gate piers have central pilaster strip, moulded plinth and tops with fine gadrooned urn finials, smaller screen piers having ball finials and standing on base wall. Main gates said to be by Warren have scrolled overthrow and simple scrollwork to the gates themselves. Plain spear-topped railings to remainder of screen. Outer courtyard has further opposed gateways forming north-south axis, these piers having ball finials. Outer courtyard walls continue forward to line of road, returning to north and south, north section having doorway with keyed architraves and plank door. Interior: fine bolection moulded chestnut panelling to entrance hall with panelled pedestal-mounted pilasters. Elaborately carved Baroque fireplace probably inserted c1730. Many other rooms retain similar, although simpler, panelling and stone bolection moulded fireplaces. Some more elaborate later C18 fireplaces, the drawing room fireplace being especially good. The main staircase, of oak and elm, starts as dog-leg in plan but due to narrowing of flights has become open well type by the time it reaches the attic. Moulded and swept handrail has 3 turned balusters per tread; bolection moulded dado panelling. On each landing principal rooms are reached through round timber-panelled archway. This building replaced an earlier manor house that was totally demolished. (Extensively illustrated and described. Country Life articles: 24th March - 7th April 1923 and 19th -26th May 1934. M. Girouard, Life in the English Country House, 1978; O. Hill and J. Cornforth, English Country Houses: Caroline, 1966; N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp. 99-145; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; S. Sitwell, British Architects and Craftsmen, 1945 and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8739103798

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Girouard, M - Title: Life in the English Country House - Date: 1978
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Rudd, MA - Title: Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt - Date: 1935
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Hill and Cornforth - Title: English Country Houses 1625-1685 - Date: 1966
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Sitwell, S - Title: British Architects and Craftsmen - Date: 1945
  5. Article  Reference - Title: 19 May - Date: 1934 - Journal Title: Country Life
  6. Article  Reference - Title: 24 March - Date: 1923 - Journal Title: Country Life
  7. Article  Reference - Title: 26 May - Date: 1934 - Journal Title: Country Life
  8. Article  Reference - Title: 7 April - Date: 1923 - Journal Title: Country Life
  9. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 16 Gloucestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  10. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  11. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1976 - Volume: 11 - Page References: 99-145

National Grid Reference: SO 87391 03798

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 11:25:45.