List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AGATHA

List entry Number: 1150665

Location

CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, EASBY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireHambletonDistrict AuthorityEasby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 332928

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASBY EASBY NZ 50 NE (north side) 7/3 Church of St Agatha 23.6.66 - II Church, built as private chapel, incorporating mausoleum. 1881 by J Fowler for the Emerson family. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; tiled roofs; timber tower top with iron crest. Early English style; small scale. West tower; continuous nave and chancel with dividing buttress; octagonal mausoleum at east end; north vestry. Multi-moulded pointed-arched west doorway in tower, under hoodmould with carved stops. Timber bell stage above, and shingled broach spire with iron crown and vane. Lancet windows, tinder hood- moulds, to nave and chancel. Narrow linking bays from chancel to mausoleum hold north door and south memorial cross to Anne Amerson, d.1880, in a cusped gabled niche. Mausoleum has pointed blank arcading with foliate capitals; and pointed roof. Interior: 2-bay nave and raised l-bay chancel. Braced collar-beam roof with ashlaring at eaves. Internal stair to small west gallery. Arcaded stone reredos and carved stone pulpit. Good stained glass: figures of saints, prophets, apostles and angels by Powell Bros of Leeds. Mausoleum not accessible at time of survey but said to have shelves for coffins inside. Pevsner: Yorkshire, the North Riding

Listing NGR: NZ5778208686

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding - Date: 1966

National Grid Reference: NZ 57782 08686

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 08:51:53.