List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1149996

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireHarrogateDistrict AuthorityAllerton Mauleverer with Hopperton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330586

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 45 NW ALLERTON MAULEVERER ALLERTON PARK WITH HOPPERTON 3/7 Church of St. Martin 15.3.66

GV II*

Church of St. Martin. Rebuilt c1745 for Hon. Richard Arundell. Ashlar to west front, coursed limestone elsewhere. Stone slates and corrugated sheets to roof. Norman style. Nave of 6 bays with north and south aisles and transepts. Tower, between nave and chancel, flanked by stair and former vestry. Chancel of 2 bays. West front has central plank and stud door with semicircular overlight in moulded surround. Circular west window in architrave, above, flanked by round-arched windows with voussoirs. Aisles are gabled and project slightly with round-headed windows, flanking pilasters and open pediments. Returns of aisles have 4 round-headed windows with 2-light windows to transepts. 5-light Perpendicular style-chancel east window containing some original glass. A continuous projecting band around the building at sill level. Tower of 3 stages with round-headed belfry windows with continuous band over. Shallow pyramidal roof with weather vane. Interior: original vase-shaped font, 2-decker pulpit with sounding board over, and panelled box pews. Iron gates to north and south transepts and to chancel. North transept contains 2 wooden effigies of cross-legged knights of the late C13 or early C14 and alabaster effigies of Sir John and Alyson Mauleverer (1475). Also a brass of Sir John and Eleanor Mauleverer (c1400). South transept has massive tomb of Mrs. Mary Thornton (d.1800). The chancel is plainly fitted. See: L. Butler, Guide to St. Martins, Allerton Mauleverer, Redundant Churches Fund, London, 1980. H. Speight, Nidderdale, London, 1894, p200.

Listing NGR: SE4158457954

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Butler, L, Guide to St Martins Allerton Mauleverer, (1980)
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894), 200
Other
Part 32 North Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 41584 57954

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:03:34.