List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1147928

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityGunby and Stainby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUNBY AND STAINBY MAIN STREET SK 92 SW Gunby 8/104 Church of 20.9.66 St. Nicholas G.V. II Parish church. C15, 1869 by R. Coad. Ashlar and squared coursed limestone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, decorative kneelers, crosses fleury. Western tower, nave, chancel, vestry. C15 ashlar 3 stage tower has bell moulded plinth, 2 string courses, battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, one missing. To belfry stage 2 light louvred openings with cusped heads to the lights. The 2 light west window has trefoil heads to the lights, set in concave chamfered surround with hood mould. On the north side an angled stair turret up to second stage. The nave of 1869 has 3 stepped buttresses, a north door in moulded pointed surround with angle shafts and a pair of 2 light windows. The vestry has a 3 light window with ogee heads to the lights. The chancel, in squared limestone rubble, has a 3 light C19 east window with rectilinear tracery and a similar 2 light south window. The south side of the nave has 3 three light C19 windows, the central one having ogee heads to the lights, the outer pair matching the north side with cusped heads and quatrefoils over. Interior. Tall narrow late C15 tower arch with octagonal responds and capitals, single chamfered arch, hollow moulded continuous surround. C19 chancel arch with moulded pointed head, continuous surround, hood mould with human head label stops. All fittings, including font, are C19 with Gothic woodwork including tower and chancel screens, font cover and reredos by Rev. W. E. Thorold, c.1880. Pair of commandment boards.

Listing NGR: SK9127321554

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 91273 21554

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 02:04:13.