List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1147921

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityGunby and Stainby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193343

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUNBY AND STAINBY HALL LANE SK 92 SW Stainby 8/102 Church of St. Peter 20.9.66 G.V. II Parish church. 1865, by R. Coad, partly re-using some C14 material in the north aisle. Squared limestone rubble, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, chancel. The 3 stage tower has moulded plinth, string courses, corbel table, octagonal broach spire with single set of lucarnes to each face. Stepped corner buttresses. To the belfry stage are 2 light louvred openings with trefoil heads to the lights and quatrefoils over. On the south side a small trefoil headed light to second stage. The west doorway is in a triple chamfered pointed surround with 2 light window above. To second stage a small light as on south side. On the north side is an octagonal stair turret. The north aisle has a 2 light window in the west and a pair of 3 light windows in the north side, the easternmost one being C14 with intersecting tracery, hood mould, human and beast head stops. The vestry has 2 trefoil headed lancets in the north and a single lancet with trefoil over to the east. The east window is of 3 lights in a Geometric style. The south chancel wall has a pointed doorway flanked by single 2 light windows. The east wall of the south aisle has a 2 light window with a matching 3 light window and similar 2 light window to the south side. In the west wall is a further 2 light window. All tracery is in an early Decorated style. The south doorway is in a pointed moulded surround with hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. C14 2 bay north arcade with single chamfered arch, circular pier with naturalistic capital, rectangular responds with moulded imposts. C19 2 bay south arcade, double chamfered arches, octagonal pier and responds. C19 triple chamfered tower arch, octagonal responds. C19 double chamfered and moulded chancel arch, semi- circular respond and pink marble angle shafts with annular capitals. Fittings. Fine set of carved woodwork fittings including reredos, altar table, panelling to chancel, organ case, choir stalls, screen, pulpit, tower screen and tall Gothic font cover, all by Rev. W. E. Thorold, c.1880. C19 stained glass. Painted texts over nave, chancel and tower arches. C19 font in Early English style.

Listing NGR: SK9052822820

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 90528 22820

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 08:51:46.