List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEODEGAR

List entry Number: 1147881

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEODEGAR, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireBostonDistrict AuthorityWyberton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192044

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



TF 34 SW WYBERTON CHURCH LANE (south side)

11/128 Church of St Leodegar 26.1.67 I

Parish church. Originally late C12 rebuilt c.1420. Chancel rebuilt 1760. Restored by George Gilbert Scott Junior c.1880. Coursed limestone rubble, some ashlar and lined stucco. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, facetted chancel. The original church had a crossing tower which collapsed in 1419. 3 stage tower has stepped corner buttresses and battlemented parapet with angle grotesques. The paired belfry lights are of 2 tiers with broadly cusped heads to the lights. On the west side the pointed doorway has a deeply moulded rectangular surround with trefoils in the spandrels. Hood mould with figured stops. Above the door a 4 light window with 4 centred arched head. The rendered north aisle with plain parapet has C19 3 light windows with panel tracery, one to both ends and 5 to the side, set between stepped buttresses, all in C15 chamfered surrounds. 5 three light C15 clerestory windows now with C19 cusped tracery. The red brick facetted chancel has a plain tiled hipped roof, with plinth and dentiilated eaves. A blank east window with ashlar key and impost blocks, matching side windows. South aisle matches the north, with one blank side window, 3 windows and a single buttress. Shaped rainwater hopper dated 1775 on the clerestory. Interior. 5 bay nave arcades, the north arcade has reused C13 clustered shafts, annular capitals and double chamfered arches. The south arcade has octagonal shafts, bell moulded bases, annular capitals, one with hobnail decoration, 2 double chamfered arches and 3 with a chamfer and roll moulding. The third columns from the west end have large bases of the earlier shafted columns which formed the original crossing. Fragments of interlocking trefoil frieze built into the wall above. The tall tower arch has octagonal reveals, and double chamfered arch, the outer order being continuous. c.1200 5 lozenge shaped pillars with clustered and some collared shafts to deeply moulded C13 chancel arch. The C15 nave roof of 5 bays survives with moulded tie beams, principals, demi figures to sides and plain corbels. Dentillated cornice with rosettes to chancel. Fittings. Some reused C15 tracery on the choir stalls. Late C18 painted texts to reredos. Charity board dated 1794 in north aisle. C15 octagonal font on shafted base, blank shields, in quatrefoil panels to sides, on tall contemporary base. Also a C14 octagonal bowl, much abraded, having traceried panels with cusped ogee arches and shields. Octagonal stone pulpit dated 1881. Monuments. In the aisles 3 C18 broken pedimented wall monuments. In the north aisle a C14 black marble ledger slab to Adam of Frampton and his wife, in low relief depicting the deceased under cusped and brattished arches. Records in the Chancery Court refer to proceedings between 1426 and 1432 where Roger Derrys, a London mason, was sueing for payment following the rebuilding of Church tower and nave. The chancel rebuilding was carried out at the same time as the refronting of the Rectory, now Wyberton Park, by the Rector Dr. John Shaw.

Listing NGR: TF3287140831

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 32867 40831

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:59:02.